Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a bit since Iv'e had anything to share....Here it is:

Hit the annual bonfire with the lil' lady and our friends back home, end of September.
We grabbed a spot in a valley of beaver ponds just a short walk from the "main" camp spot where the bonfire was.
first night we arrived after dark, setup camp (with my new tent), walked over to the then small gathering..this was the "chill night", before the next nights party. Had a very old friend i've known for 15 years keep an eye out and "reserve" our spot in the ponds the night before...not that anyone was around...just a precaution ;)
The Mrs. n I hiked over to the fire, after building our own to cook buffalo dogs an hour or two previous.

Before anyone jumps my S%%% for the irresponsible nature of this poorly taken photo, everyone I CAN EVEN STAND TO BE AROUND whilst camping, ..in ANY capacity, is a veteran. shovels, gallons of h2o and various trash cans are always in abundance...we left the following Sunday with no trace but a dirt-smothered, muddy, rock-laden fire ring and a truck load of trash. ...our crew's as well as OTHER a**'holes (previous hikers/campers) stuff. We have a good time, but don't leave a trace. Thats simply just not how we were raised..ANY of us.

Next afternoon/eve, the bike folk went on a solid trail mission. "Mrs." had just gotten a new bike. Nice. Welp-I fished said-camp ponds all evening. About 20 0f my favorite species in the 3-10" range. I was really expecting a lot of Chubs, as is common for this drainage..NOT the case!! :)..All fish taken on dries:
Purple para adams
Tiny hoppers
Beetles
PMD's..yeah-most productive beleive it or not. Evening style. 8) ???

I was with my 2wt and 2wt only....the fish came from places like these...(took these the morning after):

Lost track of time this evening
(fish were constant) ...Alone and slightly chilly, I decide to walk back to base and change...then hike to the fire.

As we were enjoying our lunch and scenery, this "Bumbles decided to hangout with us for a while before we broke camp Sunday

Fast Forward a week:
Fished Chatty with the Boss. on the water at 6:15..ish. ....Made two trips.
Found fish in 15-30 Ft' of water.
Lures: Hornets, Flashabou jigs, jigheads+ crawlers and Smithwicks mainly:

Count:
9 slimers
4 Smallies

Trolling...save for the Smallies. Got them by the Massey believe it or not

2.5.1/6 walleye...I suck at netting....total noob. What can I say?..
1 perch
Smallies not pictured
NOTE-Ive never caught a walleye..only Saugeye
Never caught a Perch either...2 specs off the list!! :)
All fish released w/ exception of the obvious photo below...

Second trip:
Fished from 3:30ish-9:30-
Landed 6 bows...kept 3
AROUND the dam road/marina pen. Shad patterns.
Trolling

Benn hitting Bear Creek a time or two each week. Found some good holes. shallow. Dinks. Tiny Stimies and BWOs are getting strikes in the tiny pools and pocket waters. Lok fr big boulders (football and up sizes). The are taking in the foam too. Advice-N lair OTB and on up. ... ;) :eek: ??? 8) ;D. no really though. Dece holes for deinks. Riot on the 2 wt.
SORRY NO PICTURES.

Next:
We hit the Mountains for some leaf action last weekend. Saw a LOT of things I've never seen. that means, areas/counties and similar road-streches we'de just not ever seen in the FALL.
Enjoy.

Clinton just pops out of nowhere!!!?? HA-even with its no-stocking "regs", Im want to try it...and the lakes above.

My first stroll down Collegiate Row...good to know its not CRAZY far away

Kettle chips are my favorite....

Back towards South Park...duh :D

;)

Heres to Winter. I still don't know what I'm doing....midges and mysis and split shot OH MY!!! ??? :-[
I find comfort in the knowledge I read and find in this place. I wish all of you well this fall. All of you.
Thank You!. -Honest.

Also, Before I forget, I want thank Theo and Colorado Skies for their video on "bow and Arrow casting" for the intelligent an insightful instruct on crouching/crawling. Big help!!! Especially when you're backcast sux in tiny, wooded stream situations.....genius!!!! O0

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Very nice! High season!

You'll do just fine with the midges, mysis and shot. The water is low and clear and you just watch 'em open their mouths. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good stuff - nice to get a chatty report that isn't a skunk or nearly so.

WTF is going on in the bonfire picture? Looks like somebody's mashing a perfectly good guitar. Shame.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
human cannonball said:
Very nice! High season!

You'll do just fine with the midges, mysis and shot. The water is low and clear and you just watch 'em open their mouths. ;)
Thanks HC....we'll see how it goes. I just had a casting class and it helped a lot....dunno how my 2wt is gona be with the weight, but ill try with the 6wt first im sure :)

Skunkabilly said:
WTF is going on in the bonfire picture? Looks like somebody's mashing a perfectly good guitar. Shame.
Just some drunken hyjinks. that guitar was a POS pawn shop guitar....Jon always hasta bring something to sacrifice at the annual fire lol. Kinda juvenile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts