Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
met 73fisherman at the bandimere gas station at 445 and off to tarryall with pike and trout on the brain, arrived right at dawn and have never been there before and i didnt know it was 20 min from jefferson at 285, fished the cove next to the boat ramp in 23 FOW. in the morning they were in schools and suspended at various depths (thanks hummingbird) LOL. they would come through at 10-13 and i would real up and take one out. then as the day progressed more and more action as the trout moved to the bottom.... i could see each line coming up from the bottom and down from above on the finder and then not a second later and the tip is bouncin..... it was also weird today, most would just hit it once and that was it.....hmmm.......the bite was NON STOP till atleast noon untill we couldnt take the 70+ mph winds, packed up and called it a day. it was a complete white out over looking toward jefferson. i stopped counting at 14 and couldnt take to many pics cause of the wind. im not sure how many 73 got, he never says anything when he catches a slimer, it just gets tossed out the hut door ::) sense he left his waxies at home i had to share, i had a little over 100. i had 3 left when we decided to go, i prob missed\ unbuttoned atleast tripple what i landed and the ice was 18-19inches......... 73 did have 2 hook ups on pike though, none to the hole though. they were swimming no more than 3 feet below the ice, one was even touchin the bottom of the ice with the dorsal fin. man those things look weird from above :) jig of the day was a blue and silver small kasty, the shrimpo had little effect......... i marked well over 150 fish today easy.

one really cool thing happened today that amazed me and scared the crap outa me, i heard somethign above my like a seagull with the wings flappin and saw the shadow above me, 73 had moved and still had a fish on the ice at his previous sopt (10 yards away), i look over and i see a massive 6 foot wing span dive and sink the claws into our fish on the ice, it was a bald eagle, stole my fish, but it was worth it, man that was an awesome thing to see :)

Tight lines!

then we stopped at the market in jefferson and they said 285 coming into southpark was closed due to 100+ mph winds on the pass. she said there was an accident up ahead, we get up there and a semi turned over on its side, asked the state trooper if he needed help and he was fine. they had the pass blocked off with a whole county of cops up at the top of the pass..... geez

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the post. We have been killing trout on Tarryall too. The kiddo's have had a blast. Will you tell me how deep was the water, when you saw the pike cruising the top?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice man!!! That truck pic is sick...and to bad you didn't capture the Bald Eagle (that would have been awesome).

D.J.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
WOW, rainbow slimer stealing bald eagles. Patrick, wish I could of went today but there's a thing I had to do called work. :'( Will hook up here again in a week or two for some icing. I've seen alot of bald eagles at Elevenmile in the winter and along the South Platte River in Lake George in the winter, but never at Tarryall. Always a experience to see a bald eagle. But tommorrow will be spent cutting up my late season cow elk. ;D ;D Jeff

·
Registered
499 Posts
Pat,

Great report, awesome day for sure. Dude I dig raptors; Bald eagles are badass. Seen one cruising the lake on Antero last Saturday. Fricking wind in the Jefferson area is wicked. Found out first hand last Saturday when we got to the boat ramp at Jefferson. Got off the machines and said WTF.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is very pretty up there, besides the wind blowing the snow so hard it felt like sand on the ice and the road from jefferson to tarrayall is quite bumpy, sandy, and pot hole filled parts. but still all worth it ;D

·
Registered
371 Posts
You made a better choice than us yesterday. It sounds like you had a great adventure. We rerouted over Hoosier into Breckenridge and I-70 to go home.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheFishin6 said:
You made a better choice than us yesterday. It sounds like you had a great adventure. We rerouted over Hoosier into Breckenridge and I-70 to go home.
yea, the closed k-pass. the wind beacon up there got maxed out at 103mph up there, still an awesome day fishin though, i dont think i would of cought near as much fish as i did without the hummingbird.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dorsal Fin said:
Thanks for the post. We have been killing trout on Tarryall too. The kiddo's have had a blast. Will you tell me how deep was the water, when you saw the pike cruising the top?
The one I tried to catch was right under the ice, the one that i hooked was no more than 3' under the ice
:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
It was crazy windy. I took the Shapel and th anchors i made. I thought for sure a fuw times the whole shelter was going to get ripped up- it held up well. The anchors I made did really really well- thank god After trying to catch the Pike for the better alf of the day I gave up and went after the trout :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts