Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my wife, 8 year old son and I are heading to Vail this coming weekend. We are staying at the Vail Run Resort. I am wondering if y'all can point me in the right direction to get my son on some fish. He will be using light spinning tackle, so I'm figuring ponds or lakes will be best. Any info is appreciated, as I have never been to the Vail area. Thanks in advance!

-Matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
alot of ponds are managed as "put and take" stocker trout in that area. Try black lakes on vail pass, copper mountain ponds, officer's gulch and the real gem is sylvan lake south of eagle. Check the stocking report at CDOW to see which has been most recently stocked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
MP
take scenic route down hiway 6, hit up Gypsum Ponds SWA, Eagle River access and several ponds in SWA. Stop in Eagle on way there and hit up the Little Bit of Everything General Store in "downtown Eagle"

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
mplume - lots of options around the vail area depending on how far you want to drive to fish. On the other side of I-70 from Vail Run is Gore Creek. You will be between the main Vail exit and the West-vail exit. Go down to West-Vail, under the interstate and go right. There is a park right there where you will have access to Gore Creek. Gold medal water and fly and lure only, but have the boy huck some spinners in the pockets in there and he should get some fish. Panther Martens are money.

If you go further west on I-70 you will be following the Eagle River once you get to Eagle-vail, which is only about five miles from Vail Run. Anywhere west of Eagle-vail on the Eagle River is also great. Lots of fish in the Eagle and the fish aren't too pressured. Lots of pocket water. Same type of setup will work there too.

Black Lakes are located at the top of Vail Pass at 10,000 feet. Will take you 15 to 20 minutes to drive up there from Vail Run, but it's all interstate, so easy. Fish the top lake. Spoons like Kastmasters or a fly and a bubble setup are better options for still water.

There is also Nottingham Lake in Avon, which is 5 to 10 miles west of Vail Run. Not as natural as some of the other places mentioned, but they stock Nottingham every year, so there are plenty of fish and the fish are willing.

For a nice day trip, you can also drive up to Piney Lake. Just east of Vail Run on the frontage road, turn up Red Sandstone Road. It will take you 45 minutes or so to get up to Piney lake, but the alpine setting is as nice as it gets. Lots of brookies in Piney Lake and the river that comes out of it. The shores are shallow and weedy, so you might rent a canoe or walk around to the north side of the lake where it is deeper and less weeds.

There are also some beaver ponds out on the Vail Golf course, east of Vail Village and east of Vail Run. If you go all the way out to East Vail, there is a nice pocket park with a beaver pond that is really easy to get to and fish with the kid. Some other great options mentioned above like Sylvan Lake State Park, but that is a bit further away from where you will be in Vail. You can't go wrong spending some time on Gore Creek or the Eagle River.

Have fun and I hope you guys get into some fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts