Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fishing since I was a kid... Now I have kids of my own and have enjoyed (understatement) teaching them how to fish. When my son was three I took him fishing up by Walsenburg, it was his first time out with his own pole, little turkey out fished us all and to top it off caught two fish at the same time! Now he is nine and he still remembers and reminds me everytime we go out.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
When my kids were little, I took them fishing, but it was usually shore fishing. A boat is too restrictive and they quickly get bored and tired of the whole thing. On shore, if they get bored, there are always new things to find and do, and they enjoy the experience better. I think that's partly why my daughter grew up to be a biologist -- she became an early expert on frogs and crawdads!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The thing to remember about fishing with kids, is that YOU are NOT fishing, you are fishing with your kids. You've got to keep them happy. Let them play with the bait when they want to, let them "pet" the fish in the livewell, and be prepared to untangle lines, fix reels, bait hooks, take fish off hooks, and bring lots of snacks. I have twins that are 9 ,and  a 7yr old, and I'd have to say that they're "hooked". Remember you're building lifelong fishing buddies, so have patience, and the reward is seeing that huge smile every time they land a fish.
John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my favorite things to do with my kids is take them bait fishing. The action is quick and they get a lot contact with the fish. They are not shy about stepping right up and taking the perch off the hook or tossing a craw or two in the bucket. I love the fact that they have no fear. Scares the **** out me sometimes, but they are afraid of nothing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I tried taking my daughter fishing when she was 5 and she just didn't want to be there. I have tried since then, even last year a couple of times, she's 19, and she said it's just not her thing. She thinks Im strange and weird because i love it so much.

I have fished with other peoples kids, kids I didn't even know that just show up to fish. One woman dropped her 9 year old off at the lake i was at on the peir, asked me if I would mind helping him while she went someplace for a few minutes. I was more than happy to help him, to give him tips on catfishing at the lake, set up his line and showed him how to do that, and shared my bait with him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps one or two of my kids that will not like fishing; I guess I will find out in time. Until then I will fish and take them fishing whenever I can. Perhaps those that do not want to fish will have something that they love that they will want to share with me someday.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is so right. I don't try force my daughter to go fishing with me, i simply ask her if she would like to come along with me. We share the same passion for art and and creativity and we're both computer geeks.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You definitely don't want to force kids to go fishing, but they usually will come along if asked. I remember when I was 5 how much of a pain I was fishing, but my dad kept taking me and now I'm 16 and love the sport so much I go on my own some. Taking kids fishing is a good thing to do, and you will usually have a buddy for life if you aren't too strict. I've fished with my little cousin a couple times and he has a great time. He is patient and does whatever you tell him to when fishing, which is completely opposite of how he is everywhere else. :p

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
The thing to remember about fishing with kids, is that YOU are NOT fishing, you are fishing with your kids. You've got to keep them happy. Let them play with the bait when they want to, let them "pet" the fish in the livewell, and be prepared to untangle lines, fix reels, bait hooks, take fish off hooks, and bring lots of snacks. I have twins that are 9 ,and a 7yr old, and I'd have to say that they're "hooked". Remember you're building lifelong fishing buddies, so have patience, and the reward is seeing that huge smile every time they land a fish.
John
You forgot about cutting a hook or two out of their brother/sister's neck, arm, eyelid, or clothing when they are standing right behind each other trying to do the "perfect cast". No matter how many times I've told my little cousins to look behind them before they cast it still happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As part of the "perfect" cast, I taught my kids a technique I call "sighting in". As they draw their pole back I have them look over their casting shoulder (I have a left-handed caster too.) to check that their pole is straight and their bate is about 8 inches off the ground. Now this really has little to do with how well they cast, but I have not ever had to cut a hook out. So I guess it works... I just made it up but they believe in the technique.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I taught my kids to cast straight this way. When they cast forward the rod should pass right beside their ear and they should be able to hear/feel it "whoosh" as it goes by. Then all they have to do is square their shoulders to where they want to cast and cast.

Dan

M

·
0 Posts
I took my 3 year old boy out this weekend and when I was bent over setting the line tension on one of the poles (with full on plumbers crack showing) He put a double handful of dirt down the back of my shorts.  gotta love kids

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
mauser said:
I took my 3 year old boy out this weekend and when I was bent over setting the line tension on one of the poles (with full on plumbers crack showing) He put a double handful of dirt down the back of my shorts. gotta love kids
haha he must not of had any quarters.

As part of the "perfect" cast, I taught my kids a technique I call "sighting in".
The "perfect cast" was taken from the goofy movie it was a comically refrence to how goofy casts all crazy but manages to make it land perfect. Anyone else who tries it ends up all tangled to the pole.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My daughter, now 10, used to like to go fishing. As she got older (say 8 or 9), she started to think fishing was a cruel sport due to the hooks in the mouth and occasional blood. It reached the point at which she would chastise me when a fish would be foul hooked and it became a real struggle for me to calm her down. These days, I can't convince her to go very often...

My son (4) on the other hand, loves every minute of it. I have a movie of his first fish ever and boy was he excited. We went to Boyd a week ago to bring the boat out for the first time. He was being quiet and I asked him why. He showed me that he had accidentally hooked himself in the hand. I was not able to pull the hook out with a sharp jerk and so was forced to push it all the way through again and then cut it off. He was a real sport and only cried a little bit. After that, I smashed all the barbs on the hooks in his tackle box. I don't think it affected his willingness to try again...

There is also a "what comes around goes around" lesson in fishing. My grandparents patiently taught me and my brother how to fish, undoubtedly untangling lines, listening to whines and spending hours in the boat with snacks galore... So I guess in many ways it is my turn to be patient in these areas with my own kids. The payoff is the quiet times I get to spend with my kids, singing goofy fishing songs and generally having a good time, whether we catch anything or not.

M

·
0 Posts
I AM A KID...i guess, does 17 count? anyway i love fishing more than just about anything (unless the girl is really hot) but ya, keep up the young fishing, but teach them ediquette, probably the most important fishing lesson ive ever learned. i cannot stand fishing and having kids who just dont know the fishing rights from wrongs come right next to me after i hook up and start casting. yay for fishing

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
all i say is when you go and take a kid fishing how you act is how your kid is going to act so
be a good roll model to the kid you take because some day they will be out there with out you
and you dont want them to be the ones causing all the problems for other fishermen or women

1 - 20 of 21 Posts