Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a five and three year old and want to invest in a good closed face rig for the kiddos.
Anyone out there with young kids have luck with anything in particular? What would you guys suggest for length etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hard to beat an old zebco closed face reel and rod combo for starter setups for little ones... cheap and reliable... need to respool with 6-8lb test since they usually come with 20lb test or so.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My five year old has been fishing with a zebco 33 combo for 2 years now. They're solid and come with 8 lb test Cajun Red line on them from Wally World. It's very functional and forgiving for worm/bobber and treble hook baits. He can cast like a pro and the drag has actually worked surprisingly well. He's caught everything from little bluegill to a 7 lb bass in FL on it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just researching that last night Volfan, thanks!
Looks like a Zebco rig it is. I was leaning that was originally but figured plenty of members have have had experience with this.
I'm looking forward to fishing with my girls, they are pretty fired up. We are camping at Golden Gate canyon in a couple weeks and it looks like there are a couple stocked lakes that might be perfect.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If they're a little smaller, the 22 is perfectly fine and comes with 6 lb test Cajun. It's a little easier on small hands, but the rod is the same.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Don't get then anything shorter than a 5' rod, I had my son at 3 years old using a 6' baitcasting rod with a closed face reel and it rocked it. And if you need further proof, you should try fishing with one of those short sticks and see how much it handicaps you.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have to agree with the others on the zebco set up. Boondock bought my son a 5'6" zebco combo.... he casts it a long ways and it's easy for him to control. I would say change the line out of the box, but other than that, it's just right.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll buy the longer rod and I'll buy a Zebco setup. I did buy the training rod with the rubber fish as weight. They are short and it did make a big difference.
I'll get the line swapped with a good 6lb test.
Appreciate all the replies.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nothing new to add about the rig but you'll be happy with what you've decided ^^^^.
I have a 6 year old and this kind of set up has her hooked (sorry, couldn't resist) on fishing. I also have a 3 wt for her now but keep the closed face reel with us to use on the fly rod if we're at a pond or lake rather than a stream.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I got my Daughter a Zebco Dock Demon sweet little rig. It was hard to get her to buy it over a Barbie or Elsa rod. Hers has been stepped on used as a walking stick and fended off some evil bushes and it is still in great condition. Handles fish like this with no problem. I did respool it with 6lb mono.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Prvarl5aE0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts