Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my kids keep messing up my schedule...
Anyone have problems like this? Between track schedules, wanting to go turkey hunting just one more time, a new pup in the family. Their cutting into my spring fishing. Not enough time in the day.... 8)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Mikinaak said:
Their cutting into my spring fishing. Not enough time in the day.... 8)
Welcome to life!! :) My two boys are 3 and 2. I had no idea that everything would change, including my fishing time on the water, once I had kids.

Prior to getting married, I used to fish 5 days a week. Prior to having kids, I used to fish 2-3 times a week with my wife. Now, between helping my wife out with babysitting, changing diapers, and allowing my wife to have "her time" away from the kids, I am lucky to fish once week.

Although, I wish could fish more often, I look more forward to the day when my boys become my favorite fishing partners. As soon as they are a little older I will be taking them fishing all the time.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Take the little blighters fishing!

I first took my son fishing when he was 3 weeks old...stuck him in a chest carrier, plopped a hat on his head, and got in two hours of solid fishing (and gave mom 2 hours of R&R time).  Just be careful when you stoop to pick up a fish...don't bend over, just bend at the knees.

My son caught his first fish at 7 months...okay, he grabbed the rod, right before a white bass hit the fly, and wouldn't let go, so he held the rod and I reeled the fish in. Counts as a first fish in my book...

Like M.in.P., I am looking forward to the day when the kid (and the one on the way) are my fishing partners, and I can use them as an excuse to fish every weekend, and most days during the summer!  That's the way it was with my dad and I hope it works out that way for me too!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mikinaak said:
isn't that our friends name... need-a little-sex? OUCH ;D
It didnt start out as that but I guess you can say that now. I would sell but she loves to fish also and typically plans one H%$# of a vacation. Just plans for a house has forced her to work.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't worry in another year or two the oldest one will be ready to learn. While teaching him you spoil hime ROTTEN. Consider it a tax that you have to pay. I'm talkin Mcdonalds or DQ whatever it takes. Then everytime you want to go fishing he'll start jumping up and down and thats your excuse. Wifey, my son and I are going fishing; we'll see you later. Plus he will love fishing anyway and then you will always have a partner. Works perfect.

>:D

F

·
0 Posts
Best 24 years of my life were having one or both of the boys to fish with. Sold a camper to pay doctor bills, a boat to buy horse trailor when they decided they were cowboys, a jeep to buy a vehicle for college. Would't take a million bucks for any minute of it! Take em fishing in short spurts, expect them to wanna leave 15 minutes after you get to the lake and enjoy every minute! Then when they come back to see you and say "Dad, let's go fishing" it's great!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree with others: you've got to keep your eye on the target. They can be the best fishing buddies around. Sure, you have to untangle a lot of lines :D but they get to the point of helping you load the boat and taking care of all sorts of details like that with an enthusiasm that is hard to beat. In the end, watching the excitement on a kid's face when they catch a fish is priceless! Even if they are older, you can take comfort in knowing that you are teaching them a sport that they will enjoy and come back to later in their lives.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha, I have been packing and painting the new house ontop of that trying to find time to fix the camaro so I can drive it to the new house and making time for the kid's baseball schedule. Little to no sleep and no fishing. :mad:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
my kids have been going to the lake to fish since they were born
all of them have had one of those days of waking up at the lake

well not my little girl yet

but me and the boys are spending friday night at the lake
and you know what my boys want to do they want to look for
werewolves not night fishing but to look for monsters
but i will be fishing while they look
and taking pics so when im older i can remember all the fun me and my
little boys had when they were young

so enjoy them before they get to old to tell you to get lost
have fun with them while they are young

·
Registered
149 Posts
how great is that? warwolfs! did they find any? I have been looking for years. I will let you know if i find any, and please let me know if your kids find some too.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Keep your priorities straight and focus on your kids.
If it's soccer, baseball, or whatever don't think twice, just go. You can't get it back.
Believe me, they will be gone before you know it.
If your kids fish all the better.
With that said, I'm going to Stagecoach with a buddy on Saturday.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hammer said:
Keep your priorities straight and focus on your kids.
If it's soccer, baseball, or whatever don't think twice, just go. You can't get it back.
I know what you are saying. Thats what happened with my mom and dad. But with a working mother in the evenings and weekends there is just no down time and well fishing is the down time I liked the most and got the most relaxation from. Add to the kid with issues and its 100 times harder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts