Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He uses an 8 inch power auger...and has gotten some pretty big fish through the ice...before I left I remember him telling a story of big fish at Granby coming through a six hole that I remembered him saying he witnessed...he said it was the state record at one time...37 pounds...and came through a 6 inch hole...he goes with the 8 cuz it cuts quicker, uses less gas and is lighter weight...plus you wont snap your leg off in one...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Re: Kind of interesting tonight...Bernie was asked about auger hole size tonight

zman said:
He uses an 8 inch power auger...and has gotten some pretty big fish through the ice...before I left I remember him telling a story of big fish at Granby coming through a six hole that I remembered him saying he witnessed...he said it was the state record at one time...37 pounds...and came through a 6 inch hole...he goes with the 8 cuz it cuts quicker, uses less gas and is lighter weight...plus you wont snap your leg off in one...
Holy crap...guess you were right sir!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: Kind of interesting tonight...Bernie was asked about auger hole size tonight

Haha, Z is always right.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I used an 8" all last winter. This year I'm going back to a 10". The difficulty with a smaller diameter hole is getting a big fish's head turned up into it. It's just easier with the larger diameter hole.

Yes, size does matter. ;D

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I used an 8" all last winter. This year I'm going back to a 10". The difficulty with a smaller diameter hole is getting a big fish's head turned up into it. It's just easier with the larger diameter hole.

Geez...old guys losing head control...is that what I have to look forward to?!...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
zman said:

Geez...old guys losing head control...is that what I have to look forward to?!...
There are so many potential respones...... Unfortunately, they're all in really poor taste. :D

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zman said:

There are so many potential respones...... Unfortunately, they're all in really poor taste. :D
And that's stopped you before?!...it really is a quieter gentler lake trout mafia Don...it must be Christmas time!...<angels playing their harps>...bwahaahahahahahahhahaaa...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

hobiecat said:
Orion said:
Haha, Z is always right.
:D :D ::) ::) ::) ::)
And dont you forget it Mister!...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
zman said:
And that's stopped you before?!...it really is a quieter gentler lake trout mafia Don...
8) More times than you will know! ;D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've used a 7" auger for the last 8 yrs, haven't had any problems getting a fish though the hole, however my wife loses alot of fish at the bottom of the hole so I upgraded and bought a 9" head for my strikemaster. I was suprized at how much bigger the new holes are and now she shouldn't have any excuses lol ;D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I lost 3 big fish last winter when I couldn't get their heads turned up into the 8" hole, 2 of them on the same day. So back to 10" holes for me.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i used to use an 8 inch now i have 2 10 inch augers, i wont go back.. so much better for sight fishing, and yes i stepped in some holes last year too, but if i had been watching where i was going.....

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i used to use an 8 inch now i have 2 10 inch augers, i wont go back.. so much better for sight fishing, and yes i stepped in some holes last year too, but if i had been watching where i was going.....
.....or had a few less beers..... :D

That was the only time I ever jacked myself up in a hole.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jamiehughes said:
Sometimes watching where youre going has nothing to do with it...Jamie remmeber the contest about 5 years ago on John...where it was really warm...heavy snow on the ice making for slush...and then we got 4 or 6 inches of snow overnight and wind...lots of people packed up and left the south end...it was mine field...you had no idea where holes were...it taught me to have a collapsable walking stick to poke in front of me when those conditions happen...two of the fours of us stepped in them that day...we decided it wasnt worth it and walked off...two were pretty wet any way...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Yep. I've done same thing with fresh snow covering holes. A person could easily break a leg that way.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Yep. I've done same thing with fresh snow covering holes. A person could easily break a leg that way.
I've seen people cover their holes before they leave. Kick the slush back into the hole..... ::)

·
P I K E
10,071 Posts
zman said:
jamiehughes said:
Sometimes watching where youre going has nothing to do with it...Jamie remmeber the contest about 5 years ago on John...where it was really warm...heavy snow on the ice making for slush...and then we got 4 or 6 inches of snow overnight and wind...lots of people packed up and left the south end...it was mine field...you had no idea where holes were...it taught me to have a collapsable walking stick to poke in front of me when those conditions happen...two of the fours of us stepped in them that day...we decided it wasnt worth it and walked off...two were pretty wet any way...
Z, was that the year that big old 4by van went through the ice at the south boat ramp? If so that was the year everybody at the canopies started building snow forts and having snowball fights since no one was catching anything, by boy started the whole( or hole...lol) thing. You're right though, up there at the tourney the ice turns to Swiss cheese, and sux when a big truck drives by and a geyser erupts next to you!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts