Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went fishing at south platte park caught a couple of good sized rainbows, any way later that night i went to this lake in between florida and jewel on kipling, i have never fished there before and heard there was good sized catfish there, has any one ever fish this lake before? what bait to use for catfish there, and gear set up, any info on this would be great.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Was there a gravel parking lot with a porta potty on the south side and some crazy looking tree structure in the middle? If so this was Main/Ozner Reservoir.

They stock it with trout off and on. You know when this place is listed on the stocking report because the parking lot will be full and its almost elbow to elbow along that south-eastern cove.

I've caught a few stockers and a decent bass here and there. You can see biger fish "top" out in the middle. This place could be considered "decent" for a family outing for a few hours or maybe a few casts after work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know about the dirt parking lot, i came from the north end and yea thee are some crazy looking trees on the westide of the lake, i heard people do catch trout every now and then, yea ive seen the big fish, splashing around like they own the place, but i really want to do my catfishing for this time of year, i havent done that since last summer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That is Main/Ozner Reservoir. Out of the 4 lakes in this area, I would say Main is your best bet for cats. Smith Res. may be a good choise too and that lake is just east of Kipling and Jewell.

Kendrick Park lake is just a few more blocks east of Kipling on Jewell...this was a great place for catfish but was drained, re-filled and re-stocked. It will take a while before it regains fish of any real size.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there seems like there are alot of lake there, ive been to both the lakes on kipling and florida, but there are more lakes onkipling and jewel?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Main/Ozner is actually off of Kipling and Florida but a lot of folks refer to the Kipling and Jewell intersection. There are 4 lakes in this area all of which are heavily pressured from time to time.

The drought also took its toll on this area by lowering water levels and exposing fish to everything from anglers to pelicans.

Main/Ozner, Smith Res., Cottonwood Park Lake, Kendrick Res. and even some smaller lakes that hold some bluegill/sunfish in good numbers.

If you fish these lakes, please, please, PLEASE release the bass and encourage others to do the same regardless of any existing size/limit regulations. These smaller urban lakes need a lot of extra help to recover to their former fishing glory.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just got back from the lake in Cottonwood Park. What a great little fishing hole if you don't mind the sound of traffic. I just recently moved to this area, and was sick of driving to places to fish, so I looked into fishing spots in Lakewood this morning.

I got out there around 11:15, and had the lake to myself the entire day. I caught a big smallmouth on my first cast, at least 14 inches in length and a tough fighter! Caught two more over the next hour or so, about 12-13 inchers. All were caught on the south end. I could see some HUGE catfish in there, but I'm a bass guy myself. The lake is overgrown on the north side and west sides so it's hard to really fish those areas, but the south and east sides are pretty nice.

Great place, thanks for the tip!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts