Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember some talk not too long ago about how to keep chicken liver on the hook. Don't remember this being mentioned and it looks like it would work. The guy has another video about curing chicken liver as another means of helping keep the bait where you want it. I wonder how that would affect the scent dispersing capabilities, though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_GabgQXXmAk

Here is the curing video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9D7Hnhv39A0

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't see that knot really keeping chicken liver on that much more effectively, the fishing line would just cut through the liver I'd think. Either way, cut bait for life

·
Registered
902 Posts
they make surgical netting that dissolves when it hits the water. thats what all the pro kitty dudes do. but i dont think pro kitty dudes use liver anymore.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We used to cut open a golf ball and use the elastic bands on the inside to wrap the liver onto the hook. It stretched enough so it doesn't cut through the liver and it binds on itself so you don't have to knot it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't see that knot really keeping chicken liver on that much more effectively, the fishing line would just cut through the liver I'd think. Either way, cut bait for life
Lol it didn't look that great to me either but the guy who makes the channel is a cat nut and if he says it keeps bait on the hook, I'd be inclined to believe him. Not only that but other sources I checked said the same thing- that it works.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can achieve similar results using some salt and a few other household ingredients. It also doesn't require it to set so long.

BTW-chicken liver is what a lot of the big cat guys are using here in Colorado. They just are "adding" something to it. Surgical tubing works fine as does pantyhose. Tie a not in one end. Fill it up twist it (or tie a small piece of thread) and run a large circle hook thru the ball a few times. It will last longer on the hook and keep the bait stealers from nibbling it off.

But, there is no easy way to catch big cats regularly. It takes time on the water, knowing where to target them and lots of work at times. Sitting in one place for a long time may find you one or two but it takes up a lot of time that could be used to know where they will be routinely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts