Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What knots do you prefer for connecting the final tippet section to the thicker leader that connects to the fly line? I basically use a setup with a tapered leader connected via a nail knot to the fly line, then a 5x or so tippet section of about 12 to 24 inches attached to the end of the tapered leader. It is this connection that I am looking for a good knot. I've tried a loop to loop connection as well as barrel knot and have not been too pleased with those.

Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Loop to loop. I try to keep it simple. Hasn't failed me in over 30 years.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I use loop to loop to connect the fly line to tapered leader. To connect the tippet to the leader I use this knot. (I don't know it's name) Lay the tippet and leader parallel and create a loop with the two and run the tag ends through the loop twice. It's simple and it has never failed me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Surgeon's Knot for sure! Not as pretty as a Blood Knot connection but works every time........ even with numb fingers!....ha! ;D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Surgeon's knot -- easy, reliable, nearly impossible to mis-tie. Especially effective for attaching pieces of differing diameters. As for attaching the fly, I've grown increasingly fond of the Pitzen knot. And it tests better than most. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Nail knot for tying my line to leader butt, and surgeon's knot for leader to tippet. the surgeon's also will work with tying a mono leader to braid. its a great knot...its easy and can tied when your fingers are cold or its dark and you are using a flashlight...with minimal effort. make sure your line diameters are not too different though, the most i would try would maybe be a 4 lb difference with monofilament...(example---12 lb leader, 8 lb tippet....it happens once your leader starts shortening up after awhile...but thats as far as i would go before changing either tippet or my leader)

as far as fishing braid on a spinning reel, i find 30 lb braid and 10 lb mono match up fairly well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WoolyBuggerMan said:
Surgeon's knot -- easy, reliable, nearly impossible to mis-tie. Especially effective for attaching pieces of differing diameters. As for attaching the fly, I've grown increasingly fond of the Pitzen knot. And it tests better than most. Good luck.
I retied all of my connections yesterday with Surgeon knots and have to say I was pretty pleased with how quick it is to tie and how strong it is. I'll be using this knot for leader/tippet from now on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Use a surgeon's knot. They are very simple, and never fail. I used to use a loop to loop, but the problem with that is that the line can actually cut itself. The tension between the two loops weakens the line and one of the loops will open up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
royalhumpy said:
Use a surgeon's knot. They are very simple, and never fail. I used to use a loop to loop, but the problem with that is that the line can actually cut itself. The tension between the two loops weakens the line and one of the loops will open up.
I as well have had several sudden breakages at very inopportune times using a loop to loop.

M

·
0 Posts
royalhumpy said:
I used to use a loop to loop, but the problem with that is that the line can actually cut itself. The tension between the two loops weakens the line and one of the loops will open up.
Hmmm. That's weird. Fished Alaska to Mexico and never had this problem. Generally, I nail knot a loop to the fly line, then loop a 7 1/2 foot 2x tapered leader, then loop some 4x and then loop some 6x. If the fishing calls for 4x, I just cut back to the loop at 4x. This method saves money in that you usually only have to replace the 4x or 6x and hardly ever have to replace the leader. The only issue I've ever had is gathering moss in dirty water. Never had a problem otherwise.

I've also looped snelled hooks onto bait outfits. Both in the surf and for catfish. Again, never had a problem with line breaking at the loop.

I remember having this discussion with my Dad when I was about 10 years old. We took two pencils, tied both knots and pulled from both sides. Line broke away from the knot 3 times (proving they are both just as effective). I've never questioned it since.

Are you tying a loop in the line or buying those plastic connectors?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr. Ed said:
royalhumpy said:
Are you tying a loop in the line or buying those plastic connectors?
Using a loop.

Maybe the constant abrasion caused by casting would erode the fine tippet forming the loop and eventually cause a break. Or, it could be from using two leaders with a big size difference which I tend to do.

I really am not sure why this has been happening but I've noticed it but not too frequently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts