Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was thinking of trying my hand at Kokanee snagging but I don't even know where to go or how to even do it. I am new to Colorado fishing. I have been fishing since I was a boy. Mostly ocean fishing in Ca and Mexico. I have only been fishing 3 times in colorado. once at 11 mile and twice at rampart. caught some nice trout all 3 times. Actually my wife and I both went home with our bag limits. We live in Calhan 45 min east of COS. So any suggestions that are somewhat close would be great. I dont mind doing some driving but lets not get crazy.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If you just want to snag you have very limited opportunities, I would suggest learning to catch them with a float, jig and bait, wax worms or shrimp works well, they are very catchable and you will have better options for success.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Steve is right.... id rather use lures if im going to try for them. but if you just wanna snag em anyways... green mtn. is a good place to try.

cheesman will be the better bet... this is the last weekend to do it before they close the lake for the year. go get um.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

Steve is right.... id rather use lures if im going to try for them. but if you just wanna snag em anyways... green mtn. is a good place to try.

cheesman will be the better bet... this is the last weekend to do it before they close the lake for the year. go get um.

Thanks guys for the info. I don't have access to a boat and I don't know how to fly fish. I have actually never fished for salmon. I don't even know where to start with setting up a rig for catching salmon. Any info and help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Kokanee salmon are small. You'd be doing well to find a 20"er in most waters. The state record was 27.5 inches from Spinney back in 1986.

You can catch any kokanee in the state on light action gear and 6 lb test line. If you have ice gear, you stand an excellent chance getting into them in the Dillon/Silverthorne area. You can use the "Search" function on this site to answer MANY if not ALL of your questions thoroughlly.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts