Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My wife daughter and I started fishing this year as a way to do a family activity that doesn't involve tv to bring us closer. Turns out it's really really been great. My girl would really like to catch a Kokanee and her dad is horribly seasick, I can hardly look at a boat, let alone be on one. We generally fish with fly on bobber (spinning setup) or crank baits. Is there a river location or lake shore and time of year that you would particularly recommend that's a bit more kid friendly for Kokanee? We are in Denver but are happy to make a trip out of it to just about anywhere in the state. 2-3 hours is a happier drive.

Also, do spawning Kokanee taste any different than non spawning? We prefer to eat anything we catch.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Spawning Kokanee truly taste terrible. I'd wait until after spawn if you plan on eating them.
If you love eating what you catch I'd definitely spend some time learning the South Platte that runs through Denver. The running water is like a natural filter and the fish taste so much better.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you love eating what you catch I'd definitely spend some time learning the South Platte that runs through Denver. The running water is like a natural filter and the fish taste so much better.
To date I've avoided eating/catching much of anything that runs through Denver. All of the oil, fertilizer and other nasties go right into the water which is less of a filter and more of a collector. I try to catch waterways before they hit a major metro area. Mostly we catch the
Lil rainbows in small mountain lakes or Wyoming and they are absolutely delicious. Have a pair of Browns from granby going in the smoker today. Did get one delicious walleye from chatfield.

I've not had much success finding a good river place for spin casting, also haven't put much effort into looking.

Thanks for all the info so far! Love to hear others opinions on eat or don't eat spawning Kokanee.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
spawning kokes are great in a smoker, the snake river inlet of Dillon is a good bet in the fall. also a tiny red and white daredevil slow behind a bubble is good for trout and kokes

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
To date I've avoided eating/catching much of anything that runs through Denver. All of the oil, fertilizer and other nasties go right into the water which is less of a filter and more of a collector.
He knows that... after all the high hopes of dallas not joining the little dick clique on the forum that gets their jollies by chasing off new posters, I am begininng to think he is a lost cause.
Listen to walleyeseeker he is a grown-up :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
He knows that... after all the high hopes of dallas not joining the little dick clique on the forum that gets their jollies by chasing off new posters, I am begininng to think he is a lost cause.
Listen to walleyeseeker he is a grown-up :rolleyes:
You seriously love flaggelation from your colleagues, eh ghostie?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Didn't know it was frowned upon to razz the new guy... literally "Thenewguy76" :eek:

If he can't read into the joking nature of recommending eating out of the DSP he isn't going to last long on here.

The site's archives and current threads are loaded with useful info.

Thenewguy76 I definitely recommend utilizing the search function. You should get some good ideas on where to go from there and then you could be more specific in your thread question and will get more specific answers and help you find some koke.

Good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you could be more specific in your thread question and will get more specific answers and help you find some koke.

Good luck!
so 2-3 hours from Denver, kid friendly shore fishing for spawning Kokanee wasn't specific. Duly Noted.

Do you perhaps know a place where it's good to take a kid fishing to introduce them to the sport in my quest to raise a nice human with a love and respect for the outdoors and not a little ass? I'm looking for somewhere that the water is exactly 24" deep with a gravel bottom for a stretch of 18 linear feet, 52.7 degrees on October 12th with a river width of no more than 32 feet and no less than 12. most certainly free from people whose mothers never said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I'll also be expecting an experience that is free from alien abductions, moose trampling and ideally there will be a chocolate mint on a pillow when we arrive. oh, and also, I'd like a 6-8mph breeze from the NW.

Everyone is new sometime, that's mandatory. Becoming old and rotten is entirely optional.

·
P I K E
10,163 Posts
^^^^^LMFAO!!!! You'll fit right in here!!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I'd wager that your best chance for running into anglers that you wouldn't want your kid around would be to go to a koke spawn area.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd wager that your best chance for running into anglers that you wouldn't want your kid around would be to go to a koke spawn area.
I'm not very convinced that you'd be wrong. This weekend checking out Shadow Mtn two delightful flyfishers arrived and waded out to stand right where my wife was casting as she was still casting. she is better at human interaction than me and refused to cast into them. People are classy and the main reason I have thus far been pretty thrilled to be the only one at a little mountain pond catching rainbows. Fortunately they wandered off to see the three bull moose. I'm hoping they got a chance to ride one.

·
Registered
991 Posts
so 2-3 hours from Denver, kid friendly shore fishing for spawning Kokanee wasn't specific. Duly Noted.

Do you perhaps know a place where it's good to take a kid fishing to introduce them to the sport in my quest to raise a nice human with a love and respect for the outdoors and not a little ass? I'm looking for somewhere that the water is exactly 24" deep with a gravel bottom for a stretch of 18 linear feet, 52.7 degrees on October 12th with a river width of no more than 32 feet and no less than 12. most certainly free from people whose mothers never said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I'll also be expecting an experience that is free from alien abductions, moose trampling and ideally there will be a chocolate mint on a pillow when we arrive. oh, and also, I'd like a 6-8mph breeze from the NW.

Everyone is new sometime, that's mandatory. Becoming old and rotten is entirely optional.
This is one of the best responses I've read in a long time! Well done!

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
And right on que... we hear from two of the founding members of the LDC! roflmao
id call you a numbnut, but i guess its a slur against veterans in your twisted logic... so i won't offend the PC sissy, lol. ill just ask tony to do the right thing cuz i want this up long enough.

tangler is correct. you haven't offered any real advice to the gentleman. So I will for you so you can continue to cry like a PC sissy...

Thenewguy, you aren't in the wrong area for kokanee if youre fishing shadow mountain/grand lake area. the spillway is pretty good for kokanee, they are more fun to watch them hurl themselves in the air trying to swim up the falls though, lol. try pink tazmanians in the area at dawn/dusk from now till sept 30th.. they school up pretty good in places, i'll leave you to figure that one out. also start paying attention to the nearby canal... kokanee tend to follow running water when in their spawning phase. Think pink, once again. hope that helps, good luck. I suck at kokanee fishing, but that is one of 2 places that's been good to me in the past, with wolford being the other. both places are also illegal to snag, so you won't deal with as many assholes...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts