Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some kokes on the fly this fall. I have heard that they make runs in October/November, can anyone give me a good time frame/location? I was thinking Wolford or the Dream Stream. I am 99% positive this video is the dream stream right below the water gauge but I am only guessing as I have never actually been there.

So, where do I go and when? I want to do what they did in the video, it looks like a blast!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, what do you use? Pink San Juan? Pink Streamer? In the little research I have done I read somewhere (can't remember where) that more than anything you are trying to play to their aggressive attacking nature than to have them go for something they are feeding on. Is this correct? School me on all things kokanee.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, they love pink and red. They group up in areas that are fairly deep and slow, conserving energy for their next journey. If you look in the water you can see big shadows of the group. My favorite place is the East R. at the Roaring Judy hatchery around right now. Almost any river that flows into a lake that has a good population will have runs back up the river.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is the Dream and if the water is high they will run all the way to the dam.
I've done well at the Spinney access area fishing the deep runs with eggs and rainbow warrior#16. Also the browns will lay behind the kokes waiting for breakfast..
Site the deeper bends for the pods.. They are hard fighters and leapers..
Nice video-- I'm sure the bridge will be crowded..

·
Registered
76 Posts
The kokanee are usually in the DS and other places before the browns. Usually by late september a good number will be in. They're pretty easy to catch. Most nymphs and streamers could do the trick. Woolly buggers, san juan worms, egg patterns, or generic nymphs like PTs or CJs in sizes 14-18 are some of my go to patterns. I don't know if anyone already mentioned this but they tend to move in schools and hold in deep runs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You'll need to walk at the DS from pool to pool (right below some current). Eggs and red thread midges have worked well for me as long as the flies are dragging along the bottom. Kokanee make a great first run if you do hook up!

·
Registered
592 Posts
They don't actually try to eat when they're in the rivers, just like real salmon on the coasts. They will hit streamers out of aggression...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never been able to time a trip to the rivers for a run.
Should start up soon I'm guessing. I didn't see any in the DreamStream today, but by all accounts it's still a bit early.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
First you have to find the stacks of fish, don't waste your time on a run if you cant see them stacked. be willing to walk alot of the bank and pass up good looking runs if it is not obvious the fish are piled up in the run. Once you find a stack, rig up to make your presentation low and slow, 1/2 inch off the bottom is ideal, most of the time you will be fishing long leaders with lots of weight, once your dead drift is near the end, lift your rod slowly and slightly and let it swing, the swing hits are the easiest and will happen, but the dead drift will get you the most hook ups, if you get the slightest difference, pause, tick or change give the rod a lift. a # 10 Micky Finn off a 3x or even 2x tippet is all you need.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just wrap a shitload of lead on a hook and secure it with some thread. Drag the bottom until you feel something squishy and then set. Does the trick for everyone on the Blue down by GMR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts