Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been experimenting with swimbaits on Wipers this summer and done pretty well. Now I found these that I intend to throw this fall. I will be spending a month in the Granby area hunting and intend to throw these once the lake cools and the Lakers move shallow. Think they will work?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
If you throw them long enough your bound to get one.... Should be a HOG too!! How big are those?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought this lure for the same reason as you.

I've talked to laker guys that use similar baits as the ones you have. They should work I'll bet. I'm a laker guy but not an expert by any means. I've seen guys trow alot bigger lures with some good results but they were looking for just that one beast of a fish and nothing else. I like a lure in the 4" to 8" range for the fact that you will catch some mid sized fish and still have a shot at a one of the big girls also.
A far as the lure I got, I'm not a fan of Storm lures usually but I tested the action on this one a it swims nice and looks good. I'm not sure about the red spawnig koke color. I might switch out the trebble hook with something else. I just don't like using trebbles for lakers. I might miss a few fish, or not, but I don't want to injure a big laker.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I ve got a mold that was made for me years ago that makes something similar, I haven't used it for a long time.
I would slit the back open with a razor blade, then put the jig head in there and super glue it back together.
I would think these might work awesome for you especially in super clear water. They look more like a jig, vs a swim bait? When i made mine i would set the lead head back a little so that it hung horizontal in the water vs hanging withnthe head up and tail down. This is a problem with some of the jigs by Storm and others.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ve got a mold that was made for me years ago that makes something similar, I haven't used it for a long time.
I would slit the back open with a razor blade, then put the jig head in there and super glue it back together.
I would think these might work awesome for you especially in super clear water. They look more like a jig, vs a swim bait? When i made mine i would set the lead head back a little so that it hung horizontal in the water vs hanging withnthe head up and tail down. This is a problem with some of the jigs by Storm and others.
I have a shad version of the same bait. They swim comparable to a Hudd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For Wipers...

What length swim bait do you use?

When I lived in FL I used an 8" Kokanee swim bait for largemouth. Worked awesome.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
It's a wake bait thou. Same as that one

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Just got the one from ebay for $80.00 bud...THX anyway!!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Good luck
They are fun baits
I have a perch also but haven't even thrown it. Plus a couple baby wakes

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
yeah, I have a few of them now...love the action on them just don't throw them that much!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Lmao! Dicken

·
Registered
816 Posts
6 inch swim baits will be like a tortilla chip to a big slob of a fish. Throw your baits with confidence and do your part and the results could bring massive amounts of happiness. You could also choke pretty tough and curse at the sky because you haven't caught jack caca in 7 trips with a real swim bait but if you are on the water with a swim bait the chance for magic to happen is always there.

Don't be confined to fishing boundaries. I would not be afraid to throw 9-12 inch baits. Think to your self "It's only a matter of time". Get on the water and experiment just this time with lake trout.

Good luck and keep at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts