Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to post this last night but the server crash prevented that. Here you go a day late:

Got up there this morning about 7:15. Roads were snowy and snowpacked but not bad to drive on. It was still snowing when we took the ice but it was calm and skies cleared after a short time. Went off the parking area nearest the dam. It was fairly tough walking pulling a heavy sled through 5-6" of fresh snow and the 2 inches of slush under that. Thank God for good snow boots! Fished in water ranging from 35-200' deep. Found the kokanee suspended between 25-60 ft. They moved in and out but the frenzies were furious and the dead times were usually just a beer in length. The best bait was a small, gold Swedish Pimple with a wax worm on a single hook but the bigger fish were caught on a larger, orange Castmaster with salmon eggs on a single hook. Most fish were in the 11-12" range but a few were around 14". I lost count of how many were iced. Most of them went back in right away. I hope to see them again perhaps next Sept. at the inlet.

The catching started with two IMPOSSIBLY small macks. 4-6" at best! I thought macks were born larger than that. I am really groaning at the apparent loss of such a great fish as the big mack. I'm worried the kokes will eat all those poor little guys and they will never have the chance to grow into the great champion we so crave. The largest mack caught was 15" but mostly it was the salmon that provided the action.

Ice was nearly 2 ft. thick and we were able to get off it about 3:30 and had dry roads for the trip back home.

I have absolutely no idea how I ever ice fished for so many years without a VEX and a gas auger. I guess I noticed more of the scenery since I was not catching or at lest marking fish.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
great report ! we are going up tommorrow early , no gas auger , only ice bar , so hoping to find some pre drilled holes to punch through,

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should find plenty of holes that have been drilled recently. It was hard to see them the other day because of the fresh snow. I stepped in a 10" hole that had obviously been dug the day before and then covered. The snow on the hole kept it insulated from the cold and it was not frozen at all. Good thing for my big feet or my whole leg could have gone down.

Good luck with your character building ice bar. I have done that so many times over the past 25 years of ice fishing. This is my first year with the gas auger. It would be hard to go back. It would also be hard to fish without the VEX now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts