Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'd really like to get a piece of the salmon run this fall, but I'm truly ignorant to the process/timing/location/methods/limits, etc...
I'd prefer to catch them with flies, but wouldn't mind rigging up a rod or two for snagging. Also, I saw in another post that they won't hit a lure...is this true...no little spinners, rapalas, spoons, etc?
If anybody has a minute and wouldn't mind giving me a few tips for my first Koke season, I'd really appreciate it. THANKS

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
They will hit a lure. A Swedish Pimple, Kastmaster, jig, ...anything with some red or orange or pink, and sometimes chartruese. They will hit out of aggression, trying to remove it from the school. I've tried a small pic of Hillary Clinton on a hook, but it didn't work!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
lake1177 said:
They will hit a lure. A Swedish Pimple, Kastmaster, jig, ...anything with some red or orange or pink, and sometimes chartruese. They will hit out of aggression, trying to remove it from the school. I've tried a small pic of Hillary Clinton on a hook, but it didn't work!
Must not have had the right earrings on! BLahhhaahahahah

·
Registered
674 Posts
You can catch them on your flyrod but you have to be in the right place at the right time. The dream stream between Spinney and 11 mile was great last year but that run won't start for a little while. You also need to consider if you want to keep the fish. Some salmon streams are C&R only but they are also plenty of opportunites to fish waters where you can keep them. Right now from what I have heard the river above Green Mtn. is doing well but mostly for snaggers.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you want to catch them on the fly, get some Wooly Buggers in chartreuse, pink, and orange. As has been said, your best bets with a fly rod will be the Dream Stream, the Gunnison area, and maybe further up on the Blue.

A sink-tip line can open up other possabilities for you in deeper water.

Some like to snag this time of year, but you can still catch them in the mouth right through the spawn on a lot of waters. I've caught loads of spawners near the dikes at Granby as late as Thanksgiving using tube jigs and Woolies.

H

·
0 Posts
Also, if you'd like to keep a few...Hit up the Dream Stream, practice catch and release all day, and if you go when they're doing the stripping, they'll give you a limit just by showing them your license. Best of both worlds...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hobiecat said:
Also, if you'd like to keep a few...Hit up the Dream Stream, practice catch and release all day, and if you go when they're doing the stripping, they'll give you a limit just by showing them your license.  Best of both worlds...
is there a way to find out when the dow would be there doing the stripping at the dream stream or any other location where they would give you the carcases?

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
roadkill said:
hobiecat said:
Also, if you'd like to keep a few...Hit up the Dream Stream, practice catch and release all day, and if you go when they're doing the stripping, they'll give you a limit just by showing them your license.  Best of both worlds...
is there a way to find out when the dow would be there doing the stripping at the dream stream or any other location where they would give you the carcases?
Yes, just give them a call, the DOW is very friendly and helpful IMO when I've called them. I think at 11mile they give them away at the general store, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, so you can probably call and ask them.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
At the hatchery above Gunnison, they give the fish away after they finish with them, but this doesn't start for almost a month, just call and ask.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys! I live in Lakewood, and I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours for a solid day of fishing. The Dream Stream sounds like a solid bet, but I'm not really familiar w/ the Gunnison area. Are you talking upstream from Green Mnt, but down stream from W. Fork? Anywhere in between or what?
Although I could get my fix with some good C&R, I'd like to keep a fair share too. As far as the snagging goes, where and when does a guy hit a jackpot of fish that need to be harvested?

Thanks again and I hope this thread is helping other Ko!ke rookies as well!

H

·
0 Posts
When I used to snag, I either went to Eleven mile or Cheesman.  Cheesman is not a good bet right now...Eleven mile opens on the first of Oct to snagging.  Go after dark and hit up the boat ramp area on the north side of the lake...The Lake George side.  The shoreline to the east of the main ramp and also the cove with the ramp in it to the west....Fishing the shoreline next to the main ramp is better if you wear waders and wade out as far as you can...Just remember to duck... :D  You can also drive around the lake and fish the second fishing access...after you cross the river...You're now on the south side of the lake...It used to be called Fishing access number one...go figure..Fish the point on the east side of that cove...Walk all the way out the the point and fish just into the cove and also just to the outside of the cove... Good Luck.   

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Great tips hobiecat, thanks! I fished Eleven Mile with a local a couple of months ago and he said that when they go to spawn the salmon will swim back and congregate where the truck dumped them all in when they were fry. Makes sense to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts