Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to locate some schools of kokes yesterday but couldn't get them to bite. Is there any special jigging technique you guys use? I was jigging everyway I could think of and yet nothing. Had a few nibbles but no real hits. Will the kokes hit a Deadstick?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Try jigging actively to get their attention and then when they are looking at lower it a foot or so just slow enough that your line stays taught. Pause, and if you don't get a hit slowly raise it up a foot and pause. If they still don't hit, I would try a different color. It's a real light hit, so I use a very flimsy wire strike indicator on my rod and set the hook if it moves at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
definatly have a sensitive tip. i use perch jigs like a rat fink. i have found that tipping it with wax worms is the best, mealies are second. i feel that staying small and changing colors frequently, if they are not hitting, is esential. if i see a school on my vex and know my jig is in them and they dont hit in less than 5 mins, i change up. jig a kastmaster to keep them around and a jigging machine is a great thing... i dont have one but will get about 30-50 yards from someone if they are using such. (i dont want to get into the "crowding" issue.) unless there are more people also around, i will ask first- not that i think you have to, just being respectful. oh yea, tap the tip of your rod, makes the jig jump just a little like the shrimp in the water move.
Jigs

B

·
0 Posts
kastmasters tipped with white shoepeg corn, for some reason they love that corn. once they are close just a little jiggle, they don't hit , hit,hit it is hit and run so set the hook. watch the line on the fall, allot of times they hit on the fall. threw the ice 1/4oz rainbow kastmaster is my koke lure. Open water it is good also but when they go deep open water in August we go as big as 3/4 oz.

B

·
0 Posts
no I drink my whiisky with coke,,,,,started to use berkley gulp maggots this winter, I think they are going to be a good tipping bait also......

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
they will hit a it deadsticking , they like this pink fluorescent jig i used at green mountain , they also love wax worms , i like shrimp to , jigging spoons like swedish pimples work good, if they are looking and not biteing raise the lure then let it fall and they usually hit it on the way down , alot of time its just dead weight and then you have um

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
where do you get this white shoepeg corn I looked at king soopers and couldn't find any? ???

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rad, look again... its where i get mine. they have it from green giant and it is in a smaller fatter can. there is usually another off brand of it. you can also find it in the frozen vegies. if you eat it, you wont go back to regular corn. whenever we have it for dinner, i put some in a zip lock and freeze it... Jigs

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
thanks jigs I will look again

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A big thanks to everyone who posted! Now I am really itching to catch my first koke ever. Most likely going to head up to green mountain and try for them this weekend. If anyone else is going I'd love to meet up and maybe you guys could show me a few tricks in action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts