Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never targeted Kokes before(except snagging when I was a kid) so it took some tinkering. Started out a few weeks ago in the deep water over the old river channel. Jigging cowbells in one hand and lures in the other. No good. Moved into a little bit shallower water the next week with the same method and same result. By the next trip, I had built a jigging machine out of an old rear windshield wiper motor and an ammo can. It went so fast that the line continually tangled and it made a lot of noise. Moved again into shallower water and actually landed a couple of Kokes. This past Sunday a buddy from work and I took my improved jigger(Rheostat controlled and a home made cam ride) to the place where we caught a couple of Kokes the week before. It was a friggin' blood bath. Nothing more than "right place, right time". They hit just about every lure we jigged at them. Krockodiles, Swedish Pimples, Kast Masters etc. Ice fishing is the only method for me besides fly fishing, so it was satisfying to finally (maybe) figure out a fish that I had never gone after. Oh... the one trout in the pic was the victim of my buddy taking forever to remove the hook from it's mouth. It was gonna die, so I kept it. We let the other 15 or so trout go that we caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's a great catch, I haven't seen much about Kokes at the mile for years, maybe they are making a come back. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Wow. That takes some work to get those. Good job pillaging the Mile!

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Impressive. The mile used to be good for them, I haven't tried there in a long while.

Too bad it seems the lice are still in there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't help but post a gratuitous pic of some of these treats all smoked up. Only had room in the smoker for a little more than half of 'em. I'll finish tomorrow after work. The friend from work that was with me had never ice fished before. I think he's hooked now. At least he will be when he gets his half of the fish back!

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't measure them, but mostly 15- 18" with a couple of smaller ones. Surprising amount of meat on even the smallest ones. Got 5 more yesterday by myself with one being 18-19 inch and the rest 15-16 inch. Had to go to the deep water yesterday and piss 'em off to get them to bite. Lure deep by them, reel it in fast almost to the ice(watching the chase on the fish finder) let it drop over and over again until they just couldn't stand it any more. I could've used a limit after everyone ate all my smoked fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts