Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Lake 12,391 ft.

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  monkies_butt 
#1 ·
Hiked monday to a group of high lakes above Breckenridge.Lower lake is about 12k ft.Heres a pic of it:

Lower lake was smooth as glass and gin clear,saw nothing but missed one bite on a gold bouyant.Hiked to unnamed lake 12,391 ft and saw 13" cutty's cruisin.Threw many lures but could only get followers,no takers.Wish I had my flailing stick,cutty's were rising at my feet for bugs! Went to a fly and bubble with a small adams on the business end, but after the third time a trout absolutely slammed the  BUBBLE,I knew I needed to change up.Tied on the biggest,ugliest dry I had and proceeded to hammer the little cutts for the next 2 hours.Final tally was 35 cutty's from 10 to 13 inches.Heres a pic of the fly in a cutty's mouth:

Heres a cutty with fly in water:

Another cutty on a rock:

See less See more
#4 ·
Theres some nice lakes in the Rawah Wilderness north of Cameron Pass.Most of the lakes worth fishing are 6-8 miles one-way and make for a long day.But you will be in great shape when you are done!The regs up there are anything goes.

#11 ·
I know what you mean about cutts in these high mountain lakes sipping flies right below your feet, and they won't take your fly that looks just like what they are eating. Then you switch to the most ridiculous looking fly or even a spinner and they hammer it. Go figure. Nice lake, I'll try it . What's the name?

#12 ·
Yeah,my back just healed up!This is only the second hike I've done since june 18th. And the first where my back didnt hurt afterwards!YEE-HAW!! I'll never take my strong back for granted again. Anyway,the hike to the lower lake was 3.5 miles.It was at least another mile to the upper lake,so 4.5 miles.I didnt know it but you can take a road and cut off the first 2 miles of the walk! Talk about my aching back!The road is kinda steep and rocky but should be doable in a car.So if you drive to the end of the road,its only a 2.5 mile hike!Also theres another lake just above this upper one and full of little cutts too.Thing is,very few people make it past the waterfall and old mining ruins scenery and the upper lakes are almost untouched!

#14 ·
meandmydog said:
NICE FISH. does anyone know of so good spots to hike into up north in ft.collins just a day trip and i dont know how fly fish so its lures and bait depending on regs.
http://www.resourceanalysis.com/ lists alot of lakes up by ft. collins and trails to get there.

Slayer you are the man, those some nice looking fish. Glad to hear your back is better, I'm beatting the fish were glad to hear it was hurt. The Cutty has been eluding me as of late and I must take the woman hiking to get some, and possibly some more brookies since the ones I landed were so large. (6 inches)

#19 ·
meandmydog said:
NICE FISH. does anyone know of so good spots to hike into up north in ft.collins just a day trip and i dont know how fly fish so its lures and bait depending on regs. 
M&MD:  Long Draw Res. just past Chambers up the Poudre is a nice easy to get to Mtn. Lake with tons of 10-20" Cuttys.  Saturday we killed 'em with Silver Kastmasters and Shadraps.  We were trolling though.

Barolobuff

#23 ·
SLAYERFISH ..

Im glad one of US ( all ) is catching fish. I mean to even have the time to go and fish. Ive been soo busy with playing sports and work . I havent had the time to go out and send you guys a report. Thanks for taking the time to hike up there and the time to post your results. Oh yeah NICE LOOKING FISH there buddy..

steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.