Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any lake depth info sources for some of the small lakes around the Colorado Springs area. I've searched online for underwater contour maps of Colorado lakes and can only find info on larger bodies of water (not surprising). Does anyone know whether this information is available or not?

Since I am stuck casting from shore I thought about looking into one of these: https://buydeeper.com/

Any info would help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Get a belly boat and you won't be stuck on shore. Look on CL and be patient. You can get one with flippers for $50.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a belly boat and you won't be stuck on shore. Look on CL and be patient. You can get one with flippers for $50.
I thought about getting something inflatable as a temporary means of getting out on the water. Do you know if they are durable? I looked into possibly getting a cheap intex raft so I could float with my brother.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I thought about getting something inflatable as a temporary means of getting out on the water. Do you know if they are durable? I looked into possibly getting a cheap intex raft so I could float with my brother.
I had a small inflatable boat. It was fine and some guys make a wooden floor for them which makes them substantially more stable.

Personally I'd prefer a canoe or two man kayak if you want to fish with two people. But for the price you could both get belly boats and not be stuck right next to each other.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For countour maps of small lakes in the area, your best chance are looking at the social sharing map websites to see if anyone has mapped them in the past

Try either Navionics.com

Or the Insight Genesis website.

http://gofreemarine.com/insight-genesis/community
Wow what a great website! I am pretty surprised that there is data on Monument Lake. Do you know where they get their contributions? Thanks for sharing that with us!:usa2:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Insight Genesis is a program hosted by Lowerance and uses contributions from their depth finders. It takes input from fisherman/boaters that are recording with their units and make contributions for purposes of mapping lakes.

Look into it, it really is great.
Navionics has the same thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
look at the close to home fishing book on google.
Fishing Close To Home is a good one. Inexpensive and offers good profiles of water. Info included- location, acres, max depth, what species are presence and what amenities are offered .

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Imp to remember-alot of lakes depending on age have silted in to an extent, especially in the upper end. Your sonar readings may be off somewhat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know much about any lakes up that way or places to find maps but I can say the deeper is worth a buy if your stuck on shore or even with a belly boat. I love mine, very handy. Works for ice fishing as well but not as well as a true flasher unit. One thing I will mention though is that you need to have at least a medium heavy rod to cast it well and a phone/tablet with strong bluetooth range to get proper use of it. Other then that its super handy for finding depths/temps/structure in the smaller bodies of water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know much about any lakes up that way or places to find maps but I can say the deeper is worth a buy if your stuck on shore or even with a belly boat. I love mine, very handy. Works for ice fishing as well but not as well as a true flasher unit. One thing I will mention though is that you need to have at least a medium heavy rod to cast it well and a phone/tablet with strong bluetooth range to get proper use of it. Other then that its super handy for finding depths/temps/structure in the smaller bodies of water.
Thanks for the info Raiyyn! It seems like a great buy for a fisherman like myself. If I do buy a way to get on the water it will likely be a float or kayak. The deeper should work for both shore fishing and kayak fishing, so I look forward to the day when I can snag one. Which model do you have? How long have you had it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info Raiyyn! It seems like a great buy for a fisherman like myself. If I do buy a way to get on the water it will likely be a float or kayak. The deeper should work for both shore fishing and kayak fishing, so I look forward to the day when I can snag one. Which model do you have? How long have you had it?
I have had mine since the last couple weeks of ice season this year. Tried it out a few times there in comparison to my marcum. Once the ice melted I got to playing with it on open water right away. It should work great on a kayak or belly boat, only thing that would make me nervous is dropping the phone or tablet in the water lol. Could get one of those wristband holders people use while exercising. Oh and i think mine is the version 3.0 if I remember right, should be the newest version. Also i have a friend that bought the competitor version called the ibobber, yes its cheaper, but dont buy that one it sucks lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have had mine since the last couple weeks of ice season this year. Tried it out a few times there in comparison to my marcum. Once the ice melted I got to playing with it on open water right away. It should work great on a kayak or belly boat, only thing that would make me nervous is dropping the phone or tablet in the water lol. Could get one of those wristband holders people use while exercising. Oh and i think mine is the version 3.0 if I remember right, should be the newest version. Also i have a friend that bought the competitor version called the ibobber, yes its cheaper, but dont buy that one it sucks lol.
Yeah dropping my phone in the water is probably my biggest fear. If I get to that point I will likely take some precautions to ensure my phone is in a waterproof case and tied to the kayak/float. Thanks for all the input though. It's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully I can convince my wife that it's a worthwhile investment :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah dropping my phone in the water is probably my biggest fear. If I get to that point I will likely take some precautions to ensure my phone is in a waterproof case and tied to the kayak/float. Thanks for all the input though. It's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully I can convince my wife that it's a worthwhile investment :)
Just buy her a new purse or something shiney at the same time :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts