Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The geniuses at the CDOW had decided that implanting Arctic Char would help clean up their mysis shrimp blunder at Dillon res. So far it appears Arctic Char are not getting the job done.
Does anybody have any thoughts and opinions on planting Lake Trout in Dillon to help curb the Mysis population? I've heard a couple times over the years tales of lakers being caught at Dillon. Are there any old timers on here that can tell me if there were lakers in Dillon in the 70' and 80's when it was one of the best trout fisheries in the state?

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Burbot are trash. They taste like poop. I still think some bucket biologists should stock Dillon with macs. At least then there might be a reason to go near that **** hole.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Seriously, lake trout won't be happening but it looks like another crack at the char with a good assortment of splake and some tigers thrown in is the best we will see there. Fresh burbot is a favored delicacy in some areas, boiled in 7-up and dipped in butter is like lobster.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
captain shuyak said:
Seriously, lake trout won't be happening but it looks like another crack at the char with a good assortment of splake and some tigers thrown in is the best we will see there. Fresh burbot is a favored delicacy in some areas, boiled in 7-up and dipped in butter is like lobster.
I HAVE tried them. BLEAKK! dIDNT TASTE LIKE ANY LOBSTER i'VE EVER EATEN-

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
actually burbot, the only freshwater cod is one of the tastiest and healthiest fish you can eat and thriving in cold deep clean waters they should be right at home in dillon with the artic char.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Burbot are trash. They taste like poop.
Drive the distance, prepare all the gear making sure it is packed, arrive at destination, get set up & drill your holes in the seemingly perfect spot, bait up the new ice rod with waxies, drop it down the hole and start the waiting game (jigging every few seconds); then...all the sudden...you get that "tap, tap, tap!" You set the hook, fight the fish to the surface, and then you hold it up for pictures...a decent fish you think...and then you let it go to fight another day: moral of story, catch & release.... ::) ::)

D.J.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
djfisherman2 said:
SLAYERFISH said:
Drive the distance, prepare all the gear making sure it is packed, arrive at destination, get set up & drill your holes in the seemingly perfect spot, bait up the new ice rod with waxies, drop it down the hole and start the waiting game (jigging every few seconds); then...all the sudden...you get that "tap, tap, tap!" You set the hook, fight the fish to the surface, and then you hold it up for pictures...a decent fish you think...and then you let it go to fight another day: moral of story, catch & release.... ::) ::)

D.J.
From what I understand about burbot, I think if you did this, soon burbot would be the only thing you could catch. I think most people like rainbows, browns, macks, kokanne, pike and all the others way better ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
2DMACKS said:
djfisherman2 said:
SLAYERFISH said:

D.J.
From what I understand about burbot, I think if you did this, soon burbot would be the only thing you could catch. I think most people like rainbows, browns, macks, kokanne, pike and all the others way better ;D
Some heads are denser then Eleven Mile ice in January...i.e. ^^^^^^^

D.J.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I have fished this lake for going on 28 years. World class brown fishery (in the early glory years of the 80's,..kokanee to 22 inches, rainbows 20 in+ common). Not any more. Would love to see macks in there,..deep lake,..muchos snacks to eat (suckers, small kokes), mysis for the young-uns, to relieve some pressure on the zooplankton.. Close to home (1 hour). Oh, to dream!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Jörmungandr said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
captain shuyak said:
Just like all of canada and alaska waters, burbot only...NOT!!!
The last fish we want anywhere in Colorado is the burbot. :mad:
I hope your favorite laker waters get stocked with them.
Yeah, I know you do. :D You really need to get over this obsession of following me around on message boards, Goon. People are starting to talk.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
ok, so the idea is work on getting burbot in there then negotiate for lake trout it should be an easier accomplishment that makes sense. I have serious doubts that char, splake or tigers will get anywhere or make much of a change.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts