Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went To Lake Dillon with My wife and Son today. When we got there I let my son play at the playground and checked it out. Water was really low, so i went to the public dock and threw some Power bait and nightcrawlers. After an hour i didnt get one hit so i figured i was out to deep, so i grabbed my other rod with the Rapala on it and casted towards the shore and Bam!! A Brown Trout hit it so hard jumping in the air just going nuts. I landed it, and released it. The weather was still pretty warm up there about 65-70 degrees. The water felt about mid 50's. Mid-day. I reeled in my bait rods and casted out closer to shore and caught another Rainbow Trout. My son was more into the playground then fishing. All you dads out there know what i mean. LOL My fishing time was cut short, but I had a great day with the Family. I can't wait for the weather to get cooler!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, kudos for getting the family out!

My first response was actually amazement that you got fish, because Dillon can be real tough.

JW

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Good report, thanks.

JW said:
Yes, kudos for getting the family out!

My first response was actually amazement that you got fish, because Dillon can be real tough.

JW
Yes, ...it can be! ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
JW said:
Lake Dillon has fish? Whoda thunkit?

JW
When dillon was a newer reservoir, it produced 20lb browns...it used to be an awesome lake but now there are mostly suckers and a few slimers, with very few browns.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great report...good on you getting the family out...more action at the playground for the kiddo...fairly typical...my advice is if you take the kiddo fishing put your rod up...fish a little with him...overturn rocks find creatures...do other things while you dunk bait to keep him involved and if the fish bite he can stop and reel them in...you just have to keep their interest...my two cents...

Dillion even in recent years I had done well for small to medium sized browns using rapalas...so I am not surprised you got one...find rocky shoreline and I have always found browns there...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
zman said:
Great report...good on you getting the family out...more action at the playground for the kiddo...fairly typical...my advice is if you take the kiddo fishing put your rod up...fish a little with him...overturn rocks find creatures...do other things while you dunk bait to keep him involved and if the fish bite he can stop and reel them in...you just have to keep their interest...my two cents...

Dillion even in recent years I had done well for small to medium sized browns using rapalas...so I am not surprised you got one...find rocky shoreline and I have always found browns there...
X2 on the finding other things to do while waiting for fish.

Fishing was VERY slow at Aurora from shore on Sunday(My 1st time ever there).. So me and my 2 boys walked the shore line and picked up a whole bag of trash!!

They also found some feathers they thought were cool.. and also some massive crawdad claws that they played with. Great times!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I typically do pretty well at Dillon. I stay up in Frisco quite a bit, so I have gotten to know the lake. Good spot to get away from the family and kill an hour or two.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
At one time Dillon produced large browns and rainbows that utlitized kokanee salmon as a high quality food source. Mysis shrimp were introduced into the lake, and they decimated the daphnia and other cladoceran plankton that kokanee need to survive, and thus the kokes crashed and the big trout went the way of the dodo bird. There are some kokes left there, but small. Introductions on the lower end of the food chain generally do MUCH more harm than top tier predator introduction (ie lake trout, pike, browns).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IceInTheVeins. said:
At one time Dillon produced large browns and rainbows that utlitized kokanee salmon as a high quality food source. Mysis shrimp were introduced into the lake, and they decimated the daphnia and other cladoceran plankton that kokanee need to survive, and thus the kokes crashed and the big trout went the way of the dodo bird. There are some kokes left there, but small. Introductions on the lower end of the food chain generally do MUCH more harm than top tier predator introduction (ie lake trout, pike, browns).
Its amazing how the smallest things affect the quality of a good lake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts