Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got back from my trip...we fished all over... first my dorkie husbqand tried sait vrain crek... it was 10 feet from the cabin we rented but it was too wild... that water was moving through really fast...then we went to lake estes... people were catching fishe laft and right... except for me...i got bites but couldnt snag them... next we went to lake mary... didnt catch anything there... but the guy next to use caught a 20 inch brown trough... not bad...then we went to mcall lake and people were catching fish all over again... but me...i had some bad luck this weekend... i cought one tiny bluegill...my hustnad cought two 10 in bass at mcall... which is odd cause usually i catch way more and bigger fish then him...oh well... but is ther some techniques or certain lures or any advice on catching these bass??? i would like to get one up on my husband cause every year we bet on who can catch the most and the biggest... last year i won...so i want to win again ... i love to bass. fish so any pointers would be awesome...!!!! trout are too easy so i stick to mosly bass

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
When you say Lake Mary, do you mean Mary's Lake (in Estes)? If so where is Mcall? I'm assuming the lakes were close, and if so I'd want to try Mcall.
When my buddies go fishing w/ me, we always bring 3 $1 bills. At the end of the day the person w/ the 1st of the day the biggest, and the most gets the $ for that catagory.
I don't know much about the place on 66. I know it's next the water treatment place. I've heard it's $1,500 to join w/ $500 as a yearly fee?
Oh, and if it is Lake Mary and it's somewhat close to Estes where is that ? :)
Thanks

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
McCall's is about 1 or 2 miles past the Longmont private lake. Its on your left if heading west, nice lake and some big bass and cats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry marys lake... take hwy 7 out of estes and go to the mary lakke road you will see the signes ... it is very easy...ya and mcall is heading into liyons...not in estes i like mcalls i could see a lot of bass in that there water... i was even playing with one... i threw a spinner bait in and when i realed it in i would stop right infront of his face...the slowly jerk it in and i could see him fallowing... i did that several times until he got impatient...then i re cast and just realed it right by his face with out slowing it down... and he jumped right at it... i yanked and pulled him out of the water and then he flopped off... so i never got him all the way in :-[

also across mcall there is like this house with a pond and u can fed their fish... holy poop i have never seen such big trout in my life... they have like 20+ in trout in there ...and i am sure some are even way bigger then 20in.. obviously u cant fish the pond but just to see these fish we awesome

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Jenedorn --- No Worries, and Thanks. Mcall sounds like it would be a great after work place.
Earlier you asked for advise on Bass. I just started, but I'm doing aright. When I'm not catching any, but I'll see them cruising through. I use a Creme Trout Worm. You can get them anywhere, they are sort-of Carolina rigged, but w/ 2 expossed hooks. Anyway, use a real light cast. Try to almost drop it in, about 2 feet in front of them. Most of the time they hit before it hits the bottom, even in 2 or 3 feet of water. Otherwise, find anything sticking out of the water and cast plastics (unweighted) or cranks at it until you get a strike. I've been retrieving the plastics slow, no slower! The cranks have been working at differant speeds. Experiment. I've been using Rappala DT Divers, and small Bombers.
Good Luck beating your husband!  ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts