Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised this weekend...went up to Estes Park for Saturday and Sunday...not a fishing trip...stopped at Lake Estes to check out the boat ramp and saw a sign with a musky on it that said all that were less than 36 inches had to be returned to the water...I was surprised to see they have put them in there...has anyone seen any there or caught any?

Thanks!

Z

M

·
0 Posts
i would guess they have been there for awhile, because it seems to me when i moved here like 5 years ago and first wenty through estes to rmnp i saw the same sign about muskies, so im guessing there are biggies in thurr, it seems like a good muskie/pikish lake i think...

F

·
0 Posts
ive been fishing the estes park area for years and ive never even seen a tiger musky . I think this might have been one of the few (hahahahahaha) times the d.o.w. was wrong about things . ive heard of walleye and crappie being stocked against the law in there but have no proof . i talked to one d.o.w. officer in the area who was cool as can be and he told me that estes is a world class brown trout fishery with numbers of fish over the 8lbs class but very few angers target them .

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fishinguitars...

Next time you are there take the road into the Marina...I think the sign is one of the ones put up by the DOW...I know they can be confused sometimes...but they wouldnt put up a sign without there being fish in there would they?

I have caught browns there to 6 pounds but it has been a number of years since then...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I broke off the only tiger muskie I have ver hooked up there last year. Hit right next to shore on a spoon I was throwing and I only got a quick glimpse of it so they are in there for sure. It hit on the smaller side accross the road from the main lake right along the rocks there.
Scott

F

·
0 Posts
i wasnt saying that they arent in there . Im just saying the d.o.w. should be more consistant with there stocking program with these fish . when i first seen the sign years back i got all excited after talking to the game warden up there a couple times he said dont even bother targeting them the stocked a few fish years ago and thats it .

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was at Lake Estes last Saturday (trying out my new pontoon boat). Got there around 8 am and talked with a guy fishing from shore near the Marina. He said that he caught a "legal length" walleye that morning. So I guess that they do exist there. A month or two ago I talked with a worker at the Marina and he said that he's never seen a Tiger Muskie in the 5 years we has worked there.

F

·
0 Posts
yea the guy i talked to said they also have crappie now . I guess they had a problem a few years back with people just putting fish in by them selves

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i;ve fished lake estes for many years i;ve caught about everything in that lake i;ve caught rainbows browns yellow perch and walleye and suckers i also know there are kokanne in there that are 3 years old and big carp and i;ve never seen a muskie i also heard there was crappie in there i caught alot of perch by the inlet

·
Registered
636 Posts
one member on this forum told me a few months back that I should try for the tigers there. He said he has seen them before and nobody ever goes after them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts