Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, yesterday I was in my boat fly fishing on a large lake in CO and lots of folks were trolling. What is the etiquette I should observe around these boats while they are trolling? It seems to me they are following bottom contours or the fish because they were sort of clustered and moving in the same direction around the lake.

Thanks for your wisdom

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Yell "trolling sucks ass", fly them the bird, then anchor your boat in their way!

Nah man, if you are fishing, just do your thing, they shouldn't be trolling in your direction or within casting range(out of courtesy IMO), if their electronics are following contours, they should break off contour to avoid you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, thanks, I figured I should go around them and come up behind once they pass watching for their lines. I suspect trolling is an efficient way to cover a lot of water, but it looks like it requires a lot of seat time which would make me crazy.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
This spring at Chatfield has been unbelievable. Never have I had so many boats troll right by me and right over what I am fishing easily within casting distance. I just bite my tongue and get out of their way but damn people, have some respect.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Not gonna happen-you just have to get your mind right and accept the fact that you'll see stupid behavior at the ramp and out on the lake. :)

Don't let it ruin your day.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
trolling...whether it's the net or fishing, they both suck.

But they are typically courteous peeps. Don't cut in front, dont cut their lines..You're golden.

Most folks I see or know who troll are usually missing one or more of their mental facilities so the seat time is fun for them.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Thanks for reminding me why I don't buy a boat. I don't have the patience for inconsiderate idiots.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Put a blade bait on...and cast for those "little sailboats" when they are doing the 4 and 6 sailboat regattas...lol they really appreciate that!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
IMO
Trolling, the best way to find aggressive fish.
To each their own.

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put a blade bait on...and cast for those "little sailboats" when they are doing the 4 and 6 sailboat regattas...lol they really appreciate that!

haha, I saw some of those "lil sailboats' behind a boat the other day. They were trolling in 5-6 feet of water. They must keep the lure at a certain depth and in a fixed trailing position behind the boat.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
IMO
Trolling, the best way to find aggressive fish.
To each their own.

:)
No doubt trolling is very effective. According to the Yamaha computer I trolled for a total of 482 hours last summer on my charters. About 480 hours more than I would prefer.

Also, Alotta times Trolling works when jigging, and casting/retrieving doesn't. On a slow bite, not every fish is turned off, somewhere there is a fish that wants to eat, like you say, trolling is the best way to find those fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts