Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I started fishing when I moved out to CO just over 4 years ago. I've done a lot of stream and river fishing (both spinning and fly-casting), probably because that is what CO is best known for? But recently I decided I wanted to become a more competent lake fisherman, and catch something other than trout. My goal is usually just to catch some eater-sized fish to bring home for dinner. Would love to get into walleye, catfish, crappie, wiper, small mouth, panfish - anything that cooks up well.

So far I have not had much success - I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing. For example, I recently bought a small fishing kayak so that I can reach more water. I took it out for its maiden voyage at St Vrain State Park's Blue Heron lake (I'm in Longmont) at sunrise just yesterday (June 27)... and caught nothing over 4-5 hours, despite constantly seeing lots of small rising fish (looked like carp?). Tried jigging little plastic grubs off the bottom (with powerbait nuggets on hook), swim baits, casting and retrieving rapalas, suspending plastic+bait near surface off of a bobber. Not even a bite. I didn't see anyone else catch anything either, which leads me to believe it's not just that I'm a terrible fisherman. Water was very murky, if that means anything. Did not try live bait.

So I'm here to ask for a bit of advice getting started, especially now, during the summer. Questions that come to mind are...
-How does one go about deciding where to fish? Do you look at recent stocking reports. Online fishing reports? Or just what you know from experience?
-What's the general strategy in the summer? Fish deeper? Avoid mid-day?
-Given that I'm not targeting any species in particular, what are some good all-around fishing methods this time of year?

Any and all advice helps.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Cmon! None of you lake rats can help this guy?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'm one of those guys who fly fishes rivers. You know the type.

When I do fish lakes it's for trout. He already knows how to do that.

So, help him.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Drag worms or leeches around on the bottom till you find fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drag worms or leeches around on the bottom till you find fish.
Yessir. I have a second-rod stamp, so I figured I can slowly kayak around with a worm dragging off the end with one rod, and then jig with another.

Any general recommendations on what depths I should be fishing? I know you said "the bottom", but basically I'm wondering if it makes sense to focus on deeper areas in the summer? Or maybe it's impossible to say, so just try everything?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Definitely invest in a locator (fish finder). First rule of fishing... fish where the fish are! You don't need a large screen high dollar unit with GPS or high tech options. Knowing the depth and if fish are present helps tremendously and allows you to concentrate on similar areas to find fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts