Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to spend two days at Granby and the weather was glorious.  There had to be over a hundred people fishing the structures off of Dike 3.  We went to a spot that Flychucker marked on Friday - holding a lot of fish in 30-40' - but didn't mark any fish that morning.  Finally iced one around lunchtime, then nothing.

At around 3:30 the switch was flipped "ON" along with the bite and we iced 6 more the last hour.  None were larger than 20 1/2".  Believe it or not, the fare was standard 11 Mile fare: a pink paddlebug tipped with two mealies.
We didn't catch a single fish on white/glow tube jigs with suckers all day.

On Sunday we tried a different spot (36') and there were fish all over the place.  We watched them chase every jig that we had - tipped with mealies, waxies and sucker - no bites or mouths (my slip bobber didn't even flicker).   Just as the storm moved in around 1PM Flychucker landed a beauty, about 20" and plump. 

On the way home the water pump blew up in Empire.  :( BEWARE: the dude at the gas station wouldn't give me any water for the radiator but charged me $5 for two gallons of drinking water.  Screw that place.  >:D Luckily I had Flychuckers cell number and when I called it he just happened to be passing us that very moment.  We got a lift and tow to Idaho Springs and need to go back on Tuesday to pick up the truck.  :p

But the Annual Granby Ice Fishing Extravaganza is in the books.  The company was great.  The weather was cooperative.  And we brought home fish - no skunks.  Put a check in the plus column.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much "slush" is on the lake? I know that the lake froze early this year. Once the snow starts to cover the lake the ice ?sinks? and then you are standing in slush. Did you talk to anyone on snowmobiles that went across the lake?
Crackerhjack

·
Registered
377 Posts
CrackerJack,

I was fishing with _colorado and we used my snowmobile to transport our gear around. There was a few inches of fresh snow on the lake, we covered alot of ground and the slush was not an issue like it has been in the past. Not sure why, maybe not enough snow or colder temps. We took the snowmobile from dike 3 straight acroos the lake to Deer Island with ease.javascript:replaceText('%20;D',%20document.postmodify.message); Not to say the conditions won't change buit they were fine last weekend.

Good louck

FC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts