Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family was in town this last weekend so my dad, brother, and soon to be father in law thought it would be a good idea to head up to Lake Granby and chase some lake trout. Ice fishing lake trout was a completely new experience for my dad and brother.

We had to really work for fish today. We marked them all over the lake in 4 different spots, but the fish seem to have lock jaw across the entire lake. We only managed to get a few fish on our side of the ice, but luckily one had some shoulders.

My soon to be father in law, Jimbo, hooked up with this beast of a lake trout. It was a long, great fight. So much so that we had to take turns reeling it in! It was his biggest lake trout to date and he was walking on cloud nine the rest of the day.

We were able to capture the moment on video. I cut it down to make it a reasonable length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE6LNJihheo&feature=youtu.be

The fish was released after a quick picture and measurements. It kicked away the second it was fully back in the water.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just to let people know, there is a ton of slush on the lake now and its hard to see, with all the fresh snow. I was glad that I had 1000cc underneath me. No big ones for me yesterday.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It's been a weird year but finally getting back to normal, yes slush is normal. btw that tag team video was painful to watch, quit reeling against the drag... Tighten it up and reel it in would be my advice. Try to keep your hands out of their gills, thanks for the release and most important...Congrats...Perseverance pays off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts