Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a good friend are heading up to lake granby at the end of the month, we went up in the middle of July last year and only caught 1 laker. If anyone has any good tips on catching lakers up at granby I really would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
lol, sweet biscuits easy on the bait... if you must definitely circle hooks. imo, a tubejig, a lake map, cnr bigguns. let the fishfinder tell you were to be. if your on shore, gl.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a boat and all that, we jigged with tube baits last year but did not use sucker meat. must find sucker meat.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you're in Denver, it can be had at Discount Tackle on Santa Fe. Frozen of course.

If not, I imagine it would be a fatal flaw for one of the Granby tackle shops not to stock the stuff.

Carp meat can be used in substitute, if need be.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If you're in Denver, it can be had at Discount Tackle on Santa Fe. Frozen of course.

If not, I imagine it would be a fatal flaw for one of the Granby tackle shops not to stock the stuff.

Carp meat can be used in substitute, if need be.
So you guys just use the meat as bait? No guts or anything smelly to go with it?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
So is the purpose of this for more bites or just stronger bites that the fish actually hold onto?
Both, I'm sure. 8)

You don't need sucker meat at all if you are targeting the biggest lake trout, just upsize your jig. But you won't catch numbers of the larger fish either. (Remember that it takes many years to grow a large Laker, please release Lakers over 24 inches).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellas, with alittle bit of luck and your tips hopefully I will have some pics of some nice lakers to show in a few Weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My buddy caught a 30lb and a 20lb a few years ago up there, I hope just to catch something a quarter of that size.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
7eleven in Granby usually has sucker meat. Only use a small piece ( about quarter in. by 1in. Let it hang down the middle of the tube & make sure you don't have a scale from the sucker covering the point of your jig :thumb:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Both, I'm sure. 8)

You don't need sucker meat at all if you are targeting the biggest lake trout, just upsize your jig. But you won't catch numbers of the larger fish either. (Remember that it takes many years to grow a large Laker, please release Lakers over 24 inches).
Thanks for the info, and no worries I have never caught a laker in my life and don't really plan on fishing for them anytime soon. I was just curious how they used the sucker meat

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It seems sucker meat Is like the main bait for them, why is that compared to any other fish in the lake they could eat? Is it just because suckers really have no other use or what? You'd think a piece of other fish meat would work the same

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
just got back from granby again, bites slowed down a tad, look deeper. cpr bigguns. fish the suspended fish some nice ones swiming around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts