Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good news for Fish hunters. Lake Granby was just stocked with 3 truckloads of Rainbows among them 7000 catchables, the effort to get them stocked early (when available) was full of red tape where simple things like plowing the boat ramp and moving some ice off the boat ramp turned into a major event when dealing with Government agencies. After not getting any Rainbows prior to Memorial day last year and being shorted the last several years this is a step in the right direction and hopefully the rest of the allotted 55,000 catchables will be coming soon. The shore fishing at Granby is dependent on Stocker size Rainbows and the last few years the fishery has suffered. Not only good news for anglers but also for our feathered friends, last spring there was one lone starving lost Pelican on Granby while 28 fat and sassy ones were stuck like glue to one of my little (well stocked ) private ponds and the newly arriving Osprey's will be looking at lots more opportunities for an easy meal and acrobatic diving shows this year. The bulk of the fishing on Granby including most of the very popular ice fishing is for naturally reproducing Lake trout and thankfully we are not dependent on hatchery trucks to deliver them, not only do they provide Granby with a year round supply of the best eating fish under 22"s full of omega 3s from their diet of Mysis Shrimp the large ones bring anglers in from all over for a good chance at a large sized fish. If it wasn't for the abundant lake trout there would not be much to fish for at Granby and it would look like the dead sea of Dillon Reservoir with out of control Mysis Shrimp and sucker populations that the Lake Trout help control so not only a great benefit to Anglers they help the health of the lake.

In other news at the state of the fish meeting on March 19th the local biologist proposed taking off the slot limit of 26"- 36" lake trout at Grand lake that has been there for 40 years and is the last protection on Lake trout in any of our local lakes. It was overwhelmingly decided to keep the slot on Grand lake year round and change the limit to 4 fish in aggregate with trout and Kokanee. This is a great victory for anglers, the slot is very important at a small lake like Grand that gets lots of pressure on a very slow growing specie that takes over 30 years to become trophy sized fish that are very few and far between. It was also decided that Granby would get a one over 22" limit on Lake trout if the limit on smaller ones is raised.
Still plenty of ice on Granby and good ice fishing now but conditions can change quickly.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That is good news. Thank you for your involvement & influence up there! I hope to book at least one week of Grand County lodging this spring thanks to the lakers. They are good for the economy, like you said.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
And in other news.... I observed while on route...

They just turned on the willow creek pumps.

RIP granby ice.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Its still possible Granby will have some safe ice for a while.
From my experiences.... Granby ice starts to break up after 2 weeks of them turning on the pumps.

And given how Wolford and those middle park lakes looked when I saw em yesterday on route... And the 10 day weather forecast up there (temps at night are starting to get above freezing) ice season is fixing to end.

I'll be up there Saturday with sled and open water rods in hand. Fishing is gonna be retarded good regardless of lake condition...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
From my experiences.... Granby ice starts to break up after 2 weeks of them turning on the pumps.

And given how Wolford and those middle park lakes looked when I saw em yesterday on route... And the 10 day weather forecast up there (temps at night are starting to get above freezing) ice season is fixing to end.

I'll be up there Saturday with sled and open water rods in hand. Fishing is gonna be retarded good regardless of lake condition...
wiilow creek has been on for a week. Ice is still over a foot thick. its probably gonna be fishable in may.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks to everybody involved, you and your efforts are appreciated!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
wiilow creek has been on for a week. Ice is still over a foot thick. its probably gonna be fishable in may.
Wanna bet breakfast at fat cats over it?

You're also not taking into consideration the large amount of snow in the hills. Willow creek and the Colorado being high as **** and silted from melted snow... And runoff hasn't even started...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thanks Steve!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish we could get more, 7000 catchables is not much for a lake the size of Granby, about 1 per acre, but on the bright side it's better than what happened last year. Normally Granby opens up by the first part of May.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Wanna bet breakfast at fat cats over it?

You're also not taking into consideration the large amount of snow in the hills. Willow creek and the Colorado being high as **** and silted from melted snow... And runoff hasn't even started...
Whetever man, i just fished granby on tues when we helped with the catchables, and Gm on sunday. GM may not even be rotten by may first. I live in silverthorne its 13 degrees here right now. and colder in Heeney. Id like to let you buy me breakfast because I know in reality your a nice guy, but you should invest in some cable chains before you go betting all your money away.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Whetever man, i just fished granby on tues when we helped with the catchables, and Gm on sunday. GM may not even be rotten by may first. I live in silverthorne its 13 degrees here right now. and colder in Heeney. Id like to let you buy me breakfast because I know in reality your a nice guy, but you should invest in some cable chains before you go betting all your money away.
Just admit you're scared to lose, chicken man.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts