Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum, haven't had any luck this spring worth reporting yet. I mostly fish bear Creek and Evergreen once or twice a week, nothing but stockers so far this year.
I will be fishing in the Lake Granby fishing tournament May 20th and 21st and I was wondering if anyone else was planning on fishing it. I was surprised no one on this site was talking about it.
Anyway, I just wanted to say great site, thanks for letting me lurk.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Coloradokid,

This is the first that I have heard about the tournament. What kind of info do you know about it?
What kind of tournament?
how much to enter?
What are the prizes?
Can I register here in Denver?

I am pretty new to the sight also but welcome all the same.

Ling Reader

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Welcome ColoradoKid!

you were welcome to lurk but we like you even more when you don't! Tournament at Granby? Sounds like fun, I am surprised that we did not hear about it from Bernie. I suppose he feels threatened by all of us and has decided to keep it quiet to improve his chances. ;D

Dan

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the Classic, some nice prize money. There is also an interesting side contest for the longest Mackinaw. I think this is the first time they have ever had this particular tournament. Next weekend will be the first time I have ever wet a line at Granby, so hopefully I'll pick up on the lake REAL QUICK!
By the way, if anyone decides to sign up, use the on-line option and you won't get hit with the $25. late fee.

M

·
0 Posts
Oh man - my Dad is coming out from AZ that week and we're going up in that area to fish that week. Please leave the big ones for us (they don't taste as good - I promise)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I've always wanted to fish in a tournament like that but whew.........$150 per team. Its a little out of my league. I guess I will just leave it to you other folks to fish. Have fun!

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
Dan said:
I've always wanted to fish in a tournament like that but whew.........$150 per team. Its a little out of my league. I guess I will just leave it to you other folks to fish. Have fun!

Dan
Please - now that you have the moderator salary supplementing your income, that's like pocket change!

(for the record, the mods don't get anything for their service except grief.......)
If grief was nickles I would have a nice new boat, new motor, new shoes, new hat (thank you for making fun of my hat guys) etc...........

Dan

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to post an update on the Granby Tourney last weekend. The set-up was two member teams fishing from boat from 5:45am-4pm Sat. and Sunday. Each team could turn in 4 fish (Kokanee, Brown, Cutbow and Rainbow trout) each day. There was also a side contest for the longest Mack.
The winning team turned in 12.84 lbs. over the two days, biggest fish being a brown trout I would guesstimate around 3 pounds. The mack contest was won with a 32" mack. 25 teams signed up, we finished in 21st place. We only landed two rainbows over a pound. Should make improving our position next year REAL easy! ;D We didn't enter the mack contest so we weren't targeting them, but we saw some people on the water hammering them on leadcore. Can't wait to get after them this weekend.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah, them local guides with the fast boats get to all the good spots and clean them out before us flatlanders are even on plane off the start line. Translated - Bernie and Gene took second.

We caught a bunch of stockers Saturday, we didn't keep some of the early ones we caught and we were stuck at the end of the day trying to catch 4 quick, to turn in - we only turned in 3 at the end. Sunday I was hoping for a divine intervention (hoping that the prop on Bernies boat fell off over night). It didn't, so I went with the one day miracle plan, to catch a big laker or a couple incidental big rainbows or browns. I had one what I believe was a good rainbow on for a second, but my drag was too tight and it pulled the hooks out of its mouth. We caught lots of lake trout, Littlemac had a good Laker on at 2:45 but it broke off, so we headed home early, dejected, a little bit poorer, and a little bit smarter.

B

·
0 Posts
It was a very tough bite and prefishing for it we did not expect to do very well. I guess even a blind dog gets a bone after all. As far as the fast boat comment, thats why I got it lol.There was a descent bite until about 1000 am then it got tough. I thought it was a pretty well run tourney and hopefully next year there will be more boats in it. Bernie

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, we did the same thing on Sat., only turned in 3 fish one of which was dead so it only counted for half.

I agree, it was a well run tournament. I will definitely be there next year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts