Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on fishing these two lakes this coming weekend. I have never fished either so any help would be appreciated. Such as where is a good place to bank fish for Wiper, Crappie and Catfish.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Try along the dam at Henry for cats and wiper. Really, I went here many years ago and wasn't too impressed but I don't fish for cats. Water was muddy, scenery was, we'll its eastern CO. ;D

All I know about meredith is its very shallow.

I think your time would be better spent going a little further and fishing John Martin.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There is only one place to fish at Meredith from shore. You can't miss it. As soon as you hit the lake you will see the spot and the other 30 cars or so, that will be the your clue that is the fishing spot lol.

I was there fishing 2 weeks ago. Too hot weather wise down that area. Bring lots of liquids. The bullhead fishing was on FIRE! No time to even smoke a cigarette if you do smoke, from all the action! Bullheads are loaded.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. John Martin is in the plans as well. The reason I didn't ask about that lake is b/c there are a lot of info/posts about that lake but not about the other two. Wow only one place to shore fish that sucks. Yea I think I will pass on the bullhead bite ha ha. I am from Oklahoma so I am use to heat.

Other than the spillway where would you suggest I fish in the lake area of John Martin?

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Meredith is about 3000 acres.....nearly the size of 11-mile, and you get all of 400 yards to shore fish from, and you will know where the hot bite is at, and you may want to make hip pocket friends with all of them, but truth is, those guys out there are crew, they all know each others names and make room for each other, try to invade and you will be ran off or told in no uncertain terms that you can't fish there.

JM is only 1:05 from Meredith, and you will be much happier with the fishing there.

·
Registered
988 Posts
soonerfisher said:
Other than the spillway where would you suggest I fish in the lake area of John Martin?
lol someone once said go to where all the asians are ;D

Seriously, just a word of advice. If ur fishing from shore I would not go to either one on the weekend. Just saying.... The crowds are plentiful and the hot spots are scarce. Stay away from the JM spillway on the weekend too. That place will quickly make you regret the drive down there. Currently the fishing is much better on the lake. If you stick to the dam you'll be entertained with half of ur wish list. GL

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Fisher32 said:
soonerfisher said:
lol someone once said go to where all the asians are ;D

Seriously, just a word of advice. If ur fishing from shore I would not go to either one on the weekend. Just saying.... The crowds are plentiful and the hot spots are scarce. Stay away from the JM spillway on the weekend too. That place will quickly make you regret the drive down there. Currently the fishing is much better on the lake. If you stick to the dam you'll be entertained with half of ur wish list. GL
The spillway isn't THAT bad. just eat some taco bell the day before and some long rods so you can cast past the crowds and current. >:D

I second the dam. watch for rattlesnakes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice. There has been a change of plans so I will no longer be going SE but instead NE ;D

Fisher32, I always look for where the Asians are fishing even back in my home state of Oklahoma. I also pay attention to how they are fishing. It has helped me catch more fish ;D

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
soonerfisher said:
Thanks for all the advice. There has been a change of plans so I will no longer be going SE but instead NE ;D

Fisher32, I always look for where the Asians are fishing even back in my home state of Oklahoma. I also pay attention to how they are fishing. It has helped me catch more fish ;D
Those damn asians were killing the sandies on Monday at keystone. I tried to mimic them but they were using flies on a weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts