Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Ordway this weekend to work on the girl's granparents house. When I got a chance Me and the kid hopped over to Lake Henry on Friday and fished about 4 hours on the north side of the lake where all the weed beds are, great looking bass and crappie spot. About 4 hours of pitching tubs, curly tails, worms rigged carolina, texas, floating, and wacky we still had not even a bite. I never fished here so maybe the lake doesnt have bass or crappie in it who knows. If there are bass in this lake just a little farther around the bend are some trees mixed in with the weed beds but you can only get to it by boat as the shore is private property. Right before we left my catfish pole had a slow tug on it, I told cody to go grab my pole and reel it in. He goes this snag keeps going out... This made me laugh a little bit. He then gets it close enough to see that its a fish then he got a little excited. He ended up landing a carp on a night crawler. (picture below). Came back the next morning around 4 am (saturday) to do some fishing before had to work, see if I could land a good catfish I keep hearing everyone say they have in there. Fished tell 7am no bites, went to work on the house, before I made it home I went to check out Meredith Res. It does not have much shore access and has a ton of mosquitos (picture below) came back to Lake Henry around 9pm and I swear I put the pole back to cast out and a 20+mph wind came up and slammed us. A small storm was rolling threw pretty far to the south but we got the wind. Finally the wind died enough to cast out but we stayed tell 11pm and still nothing. Got up around 4am (sunday) again but could coax cody out of bed this morning so went out by myself the wind was still pretty bad fished there tell 6am with no bite and figured I'd head back via Ordway Reservoir. About hour and half later I landed a 6inch channel cat on a night crawler out of Ordway Reservoir. My only fish of the 3 days a little disappointing since I still had to work on remolding the house and not just fishing. Any information you guys can give me about these lakes to help me out would be great, I left my worms in the jeep saturday so I had to buy some more and the guy on the corner of town selling them from his van said they were catching cats out of Lake Henry but I didnt see it.
Also there were probably 60-100 dead carp along the banks of Lake Henry pretty sad, looked like an ice out kill, but that lake has been out of ice for a long time now. Grandpa Bill said it was more then likely people throwing them up on the banks, we released ours.

The dots all over this RV are all Mosquitos... all the cars, rvs, boats, tires everything at Lake Meredith looked like this. Health department needs to look into controlling these guys.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
EPic-I've had people tell me the catfishing can be really good along the riprap dam-especially in June when they come in shallow to spawn. But like you I wasn't impressed with this lake-I fished the north end from a boat maybe 10 yrs. ago for the bass. Tried everything I had and never got a bite. My son (who was just a little guy then) caught a nice wiper on a spinnerbait and that was it for the day. I think this lake has severe water drawdowns for irrigation most every summer and I'm guessing that really hurts the fishing. Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts