Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This wont be much of a fishing report since I went there to map for ice season, managed to get about 40% of the lake mapped. Let me just say the initial results are crazy...weed clumps everywhere and bare in other spots so it is all over the place. So I mapped for 7 hours and fished for maybe one.

The lake is as full as I have seen it, water being let in, water is running out over the spillway. Water temp was 58 to 61 as the day went on.

I did some limited casting with new Dynamic Lures I had bought from Valley Country Tackle in Aurora by Cherry Creek, I bought a couple of the 2.25 inch HD Trout in trout natural color, they are a sinking lure that looks really lifelike and has a nice action in the water. It managed a half dozen fish in the 10 to 15 inch range with a bunch more follows. The only thing I have to say bad about it was I wish it was bigger to discourage more of the smaller fish. Dont get me wrong I have seen the website and seen the fish caught with it, I just believe in the larger lure better chance for a larger fish theory. Personal preference is all but it worked as advertised.

So no monsters but plenty of monsters have come out of Lake John lately. I wrote down the fish and dates off of the picture wall at the Lake John Resort. These are only the ones that were hauled up to have their picture taken and measured and weighed by Bill.

Date Inches Pounds-Ounces
9/3 20 4
9/3 24 7-10
9/4 22 4-7
9/5 25 7-3
9/9 24 5-13
9/11 27 9-8
9/16 24 6-1
9/17 25 8-11
9/21 28 12-10
9/24 25.5 6-10
9/25 24 6-13
9/29 24 5-12

Bill said lead core was working really well with dick nite spoons and needle fish just trolled over the weed tips in deeper water, target the weeds that have come up to about 12 feet. Minnow plugs are working too. Troll at 2 to 2.5 mph. The better flies have been wooly buggers and scuds. Powerbait and worms have been working from shore.

The restaurant is open on weekends if you dont want to bring food.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work to figure out where to dunk Powerbait ;D

Just kiddin! Those are some big bows he has weighed in lately!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Z, the 3.5" model is in the works ;D We are hoping to have it ready by ice off !!

You are gonna do some serious damage through the ice, maybe I should send you some of the DYNAMIC vertical stuff O0

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty odd Bill won't post reports or recent pictures on his website hardly ever. Seems like you need to be in his good ol boy club to get info up there unfortunately ??? Thanks for a well written post there Z

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Quicsilver171 said:
jamiehughes said:
i think we have one coming for john soon...hopefully not but i got a feeling...antero as well...lots of big weeds at both of those lakes this summer..
Haha What you talking about, i didnt think you went up that way until it was iced over.
i dont, just got a feeling...it has been a few years so it is about due..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went back in may for a weekend there was no weeds but we got skunked. The only type of fish I seen getting pulled out was some big ugly suckers. looks like illl be making a trip down this weekend. Thanks for the post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts