Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent the weekend in North Park primarily fishing Lake John.  It was tough fishing perhaps due to the unseasonably nice weather.  Hardly a breath of wind and loads of bright sun.  We had our best luck flycasting along the shore just north of the resort.  There's a weedbed about 20 meters off the shore that was pretty good with black or olive beadhead wooley buggers with a #16 pheasant tail dropper.  The fish hit both with equal frequency.  Yesterday morning we wanted to fish at daybreak to avoid the bright sun.  Temp was in the 20's.  By the time I finished stretching and scratching my parts my son, Bennett, caught 2 rainbows and broke off a monster.  I waded in and got in some good shallow water action - my biggest about a 3lb rainbow.  Bennett got the biggest though on an orange colored beadhead black wooley bugger (looks like an egg-sucking leech).  He managed, with ice-encased rod, to bring in a 6lb rainbow with sagging belly.  I think our middle day action would have been better if we had brought float tubes and utilized sinking lines.  All in all a pleasant weekend.  I look forward to more trips there.   John

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: Lake John report

Nice report sound like a fun day. Just curious about what in Lake John, is there anything besides bows and browns?

F

·
0 Posts

john ....from lake john ....hahahahaha...good report dude

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oats: I've personally only seen rainbows, cutthroats, and cuttbows from Lake John. Apparently, there are a few browns but the lake is not "managed" for that. Your North Park brown trout fix may have to come from North Delaney Lake but it is very tempermental. The local streams also have browns in them. John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts