Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We fished the John tourney this past weekend and had terrible luck. Did anyone experience the same?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
we fished cowdrey during the tournament and ended up taking the check for the big fish at cowdrey, but it was very slow after the sun came up, we heard that john was fishing about the same thats why we stayed at cowdrey on sun also i knew that someone would catch a big fish eventually so we figured our best chance for a check was at cowdrey as that was the only lake that we had prefished a couple of times.. did you get to see the fish that won it? it was a beautiful big male rainbow, not real long but plenty fat. mike kennedy from fishing and hunting news took some pics as did the local paper of the winners. the paper with the results and photos should be out this thurs(jackson county star) there was a ton of people there hitting the ice. i was really suprised at how many people turned out. cowdrey even had a ton of people on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the fish! I did not see the winner but will check the article in the paper. Do you think the front that moved in combined with the full moon activity had an affect on the fishing production?.....We are just trying to come up with an excuse for not icing many fish. It could be that or we didn't bless our holes with the proper beverage!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
this time of year it is not uncommon for those lakes to fish really hit or miss, they all have quite a bit of ice on them and all have a lot of weeds so the oxygen levels are probably dropping a little bit causing the fish to be a little stubborn. are you gonna fish the delaney tourney?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Four of us fished the John Tourney...

Me, PuebloWiperMan, and two friends...ice was 18 inches thick...we fished hard and moved (shallow and deep/north end and south end)...6 am until 8 pm on Saturday...7 am until 1 pm on Sunday...only caught about 10 fish between us...most hits were early and numerous on Saturday before the sun came up...biting real light...heavy snow cover...weeds pulled up through the hole for the most part were bright green...not signifying the oxygen die off of with plants...fish were small...lots of people...they only measured like 14 fish by noon on Saturday (fish had to be 16 inches in length to be measured)...second slowest contest I remember...usually it is really good...and I have been doing it since it started in the late 80's...I tried everything under the sun and then some...this is the first time ever I did not have a hit on a jigging spoon which has done very well for me in the contest in the past...the only pattern that they seemed to like was a mealworm on a hook or one on a small glow jig...

The fish that won was a combined 37 inches or so which is length plus girth...probably a fish in the 23 inch range...I didnt see it...the 4th place fish went down to 31 inches...

Thanks to Bill and Tish at Lake John Lodge for their hospitality and for making those Saturday night beverages extra strong...and all the new Bronco friends I met and impressed!!!...bwahaahahahahahahahahaaa...

And one other thing...I hate full moon periods during ice season since for the most part I dont fish at night...but they sure seem to be full the next day...on Sunday I did talk to some guys who went out after the Bronco game for a few hours and caught quite a few fish...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Was there alot of people there?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Seemed to be as many as ever...200?...300?...at least it seemed like...lots of them standing around wondering what to do next...

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i think that it was you zman that was standing next to me during the awards ceremony, i was sitting next to the cash register. sorry you guys didnt get anything for your efforts, those fish are so fat right now it is a wonder that they eat anything at all.and no fish were measured first thing sun am after all night fishing. the winner was caught at like 8:00am sun on a nighcrawler deadsticking is what i heard.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Jamie...

Yeah I meant to talk to you when you got your prize for Cowdrey...it was actually a great strategy on your part bailing to Cowdrey...figures...we didnt try worms...but we did try flies, spoons, jigs, wax worms, mealies, dead minnows, jigging rapalas, jigging chubby darters, power bait, salmon eggs...the proverbial kitchen sink...

And if I went fishing to just catch fish I would quit a long time ago...so we got plenty for our efforts...some pretty priceless abuse and humor...

see you at Delaney Buttes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts