Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started fishing Lake John last winter and was thinking about going up this weekend until the weather turned horrid. Now plannning on going next weekend next weekend and see the tourney will be held.

Just curious - any idea how many people will be on Lake John? Or how crazy it gets for the tourney. I have a few spots I like to fish but both have easy access on the West side of the lake so I am assumming I would have to stake out my spots. Is it going to be buttholes and elbows.

Any thoughts or suggestions, can we drive on the ice yet or should I bring my snowmachines.

Appreciate any words of wisdom.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Bring a snowmachine and try to get away from the crowds if at all possible. The ice is safe to fish but I wouldn't drive my truck on it. Some people will drive on it. Last year it was not packed to bad just be sure to get registered for the tournament. The simple basic spots will be taken if your not early.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
there will probably be a little over 200 peeps there, and good luck staking out a spot...people will just come fish on top of you anyway...during a tournament there is no class or cooth shown...you just gotta pray for a good spot, a good bait, a little quiet and lots of luck... oh and there is now (after snowing every day last week)about 12 inches of snow and slush on the lake now, so be prepared to get wet...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan, I love your rig. The slush talk is bumming me, in the last few winters I have had a couple of days on Granby, Wolford, and Steamboat, when a considerable amount of time was spent undigging snowmachines and gear. I vowed never to return to Steamboat with my snow machines. I am sure I will return, but we got stuck over and over at the end of the day. It made the Wolford tourney a few years ago look like a piece of cake. Nothing like leaving the ice at dark and spending the next couple of hours in darkness being fully slushed trying to get back to your vehicle.

Will there be any access on the eastside of the lake? I know conditions change, but with all the wind and frigid weather this past weekend I am surprised to hear about slush.
But nonetheless just looking forward to playing with my old man and my son. He is yet to catch a monster and lost one late last winter at Lake John, so he has the fever and I promised him he would get back up after the big game seasons ended.
Tim

·
Registered
904 Posts
I doubt that you'll be able to access from the east side. Saw a excusion buried there that day. I headed up to the south boat ramp with trailer in tow, and almost didn't get turned around down there ! Fishing was slow with only 8 small bobo's.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Not sure wny you didnt go up today...

I went thru Walden about 830 this morning. Not bad, a little breezy out in the open.
We didnt fish went south toward Rand hunting coyotes.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
thill said:
The slush talk is bumming me, in the last few winters I have had a couple of days on Granby, Wolford, and Steamboat, when a considerable amount of time was spent undigging snowmachines and gear. Nothing like leaving the ice at dark and spending the next couple of hours in darkness being fully slushed trying to get back to your vehicle.
that wolford tourney the last 4 years has been a slushy sucker

Will there be any access on the eastside of the lake?
they usually try to plow most of the roads around it but usually the plows cant get the east side done., i dont think there is a real maintained type road over there, and most of the snow seems to drift up on that side of the lake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the updates. Still debating on taking the snowmachines and I'm hearing driving on the ice might be an option. Nonetheless we always fish close to bank, but I have spot or two on the Eastside that I really like to fish. Will see, I will fish the tourney, but this more about having a great time with my old man and son. My son is yet to catch a big rainbow or cutbow, and had his 15second of OMG last winter with a good one.

A fun weekend is instore regardless & I hate slush.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeah even though I havent felt like ice fishing at all...oh well we will have satellite and dvr hooked up for the playoffs after we get off the ice...football and a few beverages with some fishing mixed in...be in cabin 4...

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a chance I will be heading up there for Saturday with a couple buddies.
Driving on the ice sounds like fun and all but I would be damned to see my red Jeep nose down in 10ft of water.
200+ eh? Sounds like a fun time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts