Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went up Wednesday, pass was very good shape, got to lake at 6:45 AM and it was -13 degrees, fished until 1:30 and only caught 3 -10"-12".(released)Many would follow our lures up but would not bite AND WE TRIED EVERYTHING we had. Warden came by and told us that he had checked a guy that had caught two fish and that the fish were puking up snails and sickle back minnows. He said most people had only caught 1 or 2 fish. Had the Southern part of the lake nearly to ourselves and only 10-12 others on the lake. 2"-3 " of powdered snow. 8" of solid ice.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Wow 8 inches of ice already...well that sucks...thanks for the report...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the report --- glad you got out on the ice! Sounds kinda brutal. For me, that would be a 4hr drive for 3, 10-12" stockers. I can catch snot rockets much closer to home. And I don't even really enjoy that. But hey, fishin is fishin!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it was brutal! It takes us 31/2 hours to get there also. Last year on our first trip up there I caught 30 fish in about three hours. A few were in that 17"-19" range so it was really fun....almost boring...almost to easy! I don't know what you guys experience has been with trout eating snails but mine has been that they taste UGLY! Thinking back on yesterday I should have tried a jigging minnow. Going over to the Blue as soon as it gets iced!!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Yes, it was brutal! It takes us 31/2 hours to get there also. Last year on our first trip up there I caught 30 fish in about three hours. A few were in that 17"-19" range so it was really fun....almost boring...almost to easy! I don't know what you guys experience has been with trout eating snails but mine has been that they taste UGLY! Thinking back on yesterday I should have tried a jigging minnow. Going over to the Blue as soon as it gets iced!!
Thats a prime example of why they call it fishing--- and ==not ---catching!:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was at John 2 weeks ago on 5" of ice, caught several really fat 12" and lost a 20"+ cutbow. Plan to go back on Friday and fish in the snow shower.

Seymour isn't too far away. Haven't tried there this year, but it has always been a big producer for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was at Lake John 12/8/15.
Slow all day, 5 rods in through 7" of Ice, 5- stockers, 1- 18"
Wind off and on
Hard Ice slippery
Road Clear
Conversations Good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts