Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to the lake for the first time this year, got there Friday and it was nice out but we had things to do on the boat before putting it on so I decided to fish from shore the first day. Definitely wasn't disappointed!

Caught this big girl first, she was in between 27-28 inches. Faught like hell too >:D

Later that day I caught this one which I didn't measure because it was dark and clearly smaller

The next day I put the boat on and then started fishing for cats, caught many in the 2 pound or so range some smaller and one big one, had 1 fish take the line around my anchor rope and snap it, another fish took me into the trees beneath and snapped my line. These were the 2 biggest, I didn't take pictures of most the others

This one was 24' didn't weigh it I would guess 10-12lbs, it was thick though, as you can see in the second pic my hands can't even get close to their fins

Also caught quite a few of these guys in the midst of waiting for cats to bite

Planned on staying until tomorrow but the storm was moving in there too so we decided to call it, I will be back memorial day. It was a great start to the year!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
That is one badass lookin' muscular machine of a catfish!!! Great work..

pike and wiper nice too... But that cat just LOOKS mean!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nicely done!

How is the water level?
Water level is good...for now. The water went up and now I guess it has been going down. Right now you can dock at cedar view and safely drive a boat almost all the way to marina landing. I was in between cedar view and marina landing trolling around in 8-12 ft so the water is higher than I expected forsure. Some people have been saying this is our peak but there is no way, snow melt hasn't even begin to happen once they fill the Wyoming reservoirs the water has to go somewhere

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I don't know jack sh** about bass in general. I've caught a total of 9 LMBs in my time, 6 Stripers, and 2 SMBs. No wiper, no white bass. So yea, its prob a white bass, as you said.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know jack sh** about bass in general. I've caught a total of 9 LMBs in my time, 6 Stripers, and 2 SMBs. No wiper, no white bass. So yea, its prob a white bass, as you said.
Yeah pretty sure it was, expect wiper pictures later this season though :thumb: Whats the bass fishing like in Tennessee im sure its better than here haha

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
^^^Best smallie lake in the country is 30 minutes from my house.

Google "Dale Hollow smallmouth".

LMBs in TN are like slimers here. I don't care for bass fishing much. I'd rather catch a 10 inch gill than a 20 inch LMB. I just don't care for them much. Smallies maybe a little different.

Cats, muskie, panfish, crappie.... All get supersized in Tennessee.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just watched a few videos of that lake opry that's awesome!! Smallmouth fight way harder than largemouth, buck will have a blast with them!!

Gary, yea I love it too I go out atleast 5 times a year if not more. There is just so much variety out there, and its not crowded if you avoid holiday weekends.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice job I've been out there a few times can't wait to get back there
Its a great lake, specially for channel cats theres some monsters in there!! Plus now the pike are definitely established there, which I don't even think they were in there 6 years ago. I heard they got braught in a flood a while back

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Water level is good...for now. The water went up and now I guess it has been going down. Right now you can dock at cedar view and safely drive a boat almost all the way to marina landing. I was in between cedar view and marina landing trolling around in 8-12 ft so the water is higher than I expected forsure. Some people have been saying this is our peak but there is no way, snow melt hasn't even begin to happen once they fill the Wyoming reservoirs the water has to go somewhere
Thanks for the update. Doesn't look like I will get out that way this year, but you never know. If I do make it, probably will not happen until fall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts