Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Big Mac Memorial weekend. Brought the boats but did'nt even use them. We caught over 40 wipers in the 5-8 lb range (24-28") the first night. Through them all back because you can only keep one over 18". I was waiting for that monster trophy (14-17 lbs).  The following day I landed one 14lbs and the other 11 lbs measuring around high 20's to low 30's. We also managed to catch some very nice walleyes. Including 14 cats that probably wieghed in at 10 lbs each. It was a very good trip and worth the gas if you ask me. My Wipers are going up on my wall.

I'll post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
If I may ask,where were you fishing and what were you using?Me and my bro were thinkin of goin there this coming monday.We wre gonna take the boat but maybe not.Thanx for any info!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were fishing the beach rite before the rocks on dam, towards the intrance gate. The fish are where the drop off is.

What were we using?This information is worth more than money. You would have to be a Member to access this info. It will be posted in with my wiper picture tonight. This site is for people (Members) like you and me to share info and tips.

Slayer you do not need a boat there. My boat did'nt even touch that water once. We fished from shore and I can garuantee you we did better than everyone there. Action is off the hook. Night fishing for big wipers and day fishing for trophy walleyes (should be other way around, I know). Last year I caught two 32" eyes there using my same technique (pics are in the bait shop over there) in the middle of the day. Garuantee it will out fish anything or anyone.

Will let you all know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like you nailed some monsters! How much does it cost to put a fish like that up on your wall? Can't wait to see those photos!

Garuantee it will out fish anything or anyone.
Explosives (especially shaped charges) are really tough to beat ;)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Job good man. I know some guys that came back and they tore it up to. They didnt get any walleyes though. Im going saterday. They used crawfish tails on the bottom. Im dying to hear how u caught they walleyes. We use to walk the dam in the middle of the night and just toss out rattle traps for the walleyes. Just any early warning for any of you guys thinking about bringing too many over sized fish home DONT. In the middle of the night some nights they come down like a raid and search every ones cars and coolers. People have gotten fined in the thousands out there last couple of years. If you dont believe me just ask the rangers there they will be the first to tell you. There was also a 2-3 page article last year in the ogallala paper about people gettting fined with the majority being from colorado.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will be taking my boat. We plan to fish Saturday. I posted my reply because I am curious about this extraordinary technique.

I fished McConaughy several times. I hooked several fish on light tackle that never even stopped, reel screamers. I enjoy jigging the smallies along the south shore.

Thanks

GBRGC

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey Fisher32,

C'mon, where are the photos and the fishing techniques?

Your report is like a great book with no ending... give us the sequel.

Pete

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for being so late. I was sick. Well here's the pic of my 14lb wiper. Looks small in the picture for some reason? O well. It was fun thanks guys.

Forgot to tell you guys that lake has huge stripers. I saw a 35-40 lb cruising. Lost one around that size, it snapped me off where my 30lb hook line tied to the swivel.

One more thing I should mention is that the 4-8 lb fish were caught in the lake. The 14 & 11 lb fish was caught in the back at the outlet. They have bigger ones I've seen them. Good luck and have fun. :)

Keywhy bait fish used live with one big hook for trophies. They are primary food source for wipers, stripers, walleyes, and cats. You can also use them on the bottom when they die. FYI Keywhy are like sharks and are always needing water movement. They are spawning rite now so you can net them pretty easy at night.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
nice fish!!   :p

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Thanks the pic is there epic at least i see it. Fisher hope u feel better man and u caught that big one when there was still sunlight?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Fisher32

Outstanding fish, and thank you kindly for the follow-up. I've never heard of the type of bait you speak of. I will look it up and learn more about it.

Someday, I'll land something that size; right-on!

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fisher32,

Nice fish. Sorry to hear you didn't feel well. Get well soon.

A quick question regarding the bait species you mentioned, KeyWhy. I am unable to identify this fish species. Please clarify. Here's the link the NE DOW fish species identification page. http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/guides/fishid/findfish.asp
Do you see the KeyWhy listed.

Your report mentions that KeyWhy spawn this time of year. Where can they be located?

Some details will be very helpful.

Thanks

GBRGC

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Fisher32 said:
Looks small in the picture for some reason?

Small? Eh?? Did I miss something?? Hellllllllll naw, that fish looks huge!! It would probably look intimidating in real life! Excellent catch!! I really need to hook into one of those. A lot of folks are catching huge wipers except me.. I'll catch up, guys.

Hope you get better, Fisher.... Damn fish out there were sooooo big, they drained you of all your energy and even dropped your immune system's efficiency. Get well and go get some more!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wait a minute...is that sand in the background...or SNOW!!! Just kidding, NICE fish...and it looks plenty big in the picture!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
nice wiper !!!, can you get a master angler in nebraska ? , i would mount that to its a waste to eat a fish like that, put him on the wall ;D

M

·
0 Posts
thats uge, i need to gett over my quincy addiction for a week and chase some wipers...any aurora news? anyway, beautriful fish

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Baitfish nicknames are Keywhy and Mingos, it's real name is Alewife. They spawn and reproduce by the hundred thousands. Alewifes are very aggresive bait fish that will eat almost anything from plankton to fish eggs. In the early 70's the parks and commision was forced to poison 90% of all fish there due to the over population of Alwifes. These little bastards were eating all the spawning eggs. Anyways just FYI.

One things for sure is these little suckers will out fish anything over there for wipers/whites/stipers, wallayes, and Catfish. For you bait fisherman these bait fish will out fish crawfish, muscles, and even shad. For boaters forget about all the lures, troll with these guys and you should do very well.

Another pic of it's twin.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts