Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have decided to go to Lake Mac this year in August/September and would appreciate some guide recommendations for a couple of days fishing. We would be looking for walleye, catfish, wipers. I have found a number of guides, but would like some personal recs. Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lake Big mac spoiled would be my 1st choice if you could fish with Brad or Dustin favinger. They have other guides, I just don't know anything about them. 2nd choice would be Jerry Steinke he has been guiding on the lake forever and can find fish when others can't.

Are you taking your boat there for other days?

Good Luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
Who do you like EricCo?
Nice of you to be help out Greg.
Never fished Mac but my Dad has, he’s fished with Jerry S a few times with success. Sure you’ll get into fish with almost any guide.
Like anything, some homework on your end regarding what you want outta the trip should be discussed before you decide who you’re booking with.

A follow up of your trip would be appreciated

·
Registered
942 Posts
Who do you like EricCo?
Nice of you to be help out Greg.
Never fished Mac but my Dad has, he’s fished with Jerry S a few times with success. Sure you’ll get into fish with almost any guide.
Like anything, some homework on your end regarding what you want outta the trip should be discussed before you decide who you’re booking with.

A follow up of your trip would be appreciated
I like them all. Nice people, courteous on the water, and excellent fisherman. :thumb:

I haven't hired any for guiding though so can't speak to that aspect.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I went out to Lake Mac for a quick trip a couple weeks ago. My first time there. I was able to book a trip with "Spoiled" Guide service. Nice Ranger boat, and good gear. Brad worked hard to get us on fish but conditions were tough (had been a major tourney there day before). I did manage to get one nice 20" walleye on a slabbing spoon. Learned a lot. Brad said 1/3 of his clients are local, 1/3 from Colorado and 1/3 from Kansas.

I camped on shore at the LeMoyne ramp area. $12 for a park pass and $6 to camp. Met up with Brad at Vogel's bait shop at 7:00am the next morning.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Man thats a kong freekin way to go for a eater walleye-

Can catch those at the Crack-

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I went out to Lake Mac for a quick trip a couple weeks ago. My first time there. I was able to book a trip with "Spoiled" Guide service. Nice Ranger boat, and good gear. Brad worked hard to get us on fish but conditions were tough (had been a major tourney there day before). I did manage to get one nice 20" walleye on a slabbing spoon. Learned a lot. Brad said 1/3 of his clients are local, 1/3 from Colorado and 1/3 from Kansas.

I camped on shore at the LeMoyne ramp area. $12 for a park pass and $6 to camp. Met up with Brad at Von's bait shop at 7:00am the next morning.
I could have given you a tour for free. But you would not have learned as much. :D

So negative... The man learned something and got to see new scenery. Focus on the positives, gotta focus on the positives... ;D

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
He learned he shoulda got a different guide-

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm trying to expand my range since Blue Mesa took a turn for the worse. Haven't been east much and I don't usually target walleye so I'm no expert like you guys. :) When I hit a new lake I like to go with a guide, cuts down the learning curve.

I had heard that Lake Mac is #4th best walleye fishery in the country. Turns out Brad was the guy who said it; he had been quoted in an article in Field and Stream. Lake Erie was #1 and I've no doubt about that. Devil's Lake was in there and I forget the other one. Maybe Lake of the Woods.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Haven't been east much and I don't usually target walleye so I'm no expert like you guys. :)
I can't speak for Slayer and others, but I'm just lucky. I have only hired guides for ocean fishing. For places that I can drive to, like Mac, I don't mind wasting some time to figure it out. If you ever feel like a night session at Mac, feel free to send me a PM. I haven't fished that lake much in the day time.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Have to agree with Slayer on this one. Waste of time and money to get all out there and freeze to catch some eater and even MA walleye when it's possible in at least 5 lakes within two hours of metro.

I did do a guided trip a few years ago and froze my butt off for 2 20 inch walleye.

In any case I highly recommend Brad. He was great and it was cool to hear stories of him guiding Payton Manning and his crew.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Have to agree with Slayer on this one. Waste of time and money to get all out there and freeze to catch some eater and even MA walleye when it's possible in at least 5 lakes within two hours of metro.

I did do a guided trip a few years ago and froze my butt off for 2 20 inch walleye.

In any case I highly recommend Brad. He was great and it was cool to hear stories of him guiding Payton Manning and his crew.
Definitely not worth it. Heed the man's words and stay in Colorado! ;D Seriously, I don't fish there that often myself. Three times this year, and not at all the previous 2 years. But what bothers me more than anything else there are the crowds. So, yeah, stay away! ;D

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I fished Mac once in my old boat back in 08? We caught the most and largest walleyes I have ever seen. we just went there on a whim and drifted in the conga line of prolly 75 boats on the west end. At the cleaning station that night we were cleaning our 22'ers and this guy opens a cooler full of 6-10lbers. We asked him and he told us where and on what. Next morning my buddy got a 10.5 and a7.5. I knocked his second 10lber off with the net. that afternoon a storm front came thru and we caught very little more.
Ive only fished from the dam since. got a 9.5 and a 7.5 doing the combat thing.

No need for a guide IMO.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I fished Mac once in my old boat back in 08? We caught the most and largest walleyes I have ever seen. we just went there on a whim and drifted in the conga line of prolly 75 boats on the west end. At the cleaning station that night we were cleaning our 22'ers and this guy opens a cooler full of 6-10lbers. We asked him and he told us where and on what. Next morning my buddy got a 10.5 and a7.5. I knocked his second 10lber off with the net. that afternoon a storm front came thru and we caught very little more.
Ive only fished from the dam since. got a 9.5 and a 7.5 doing the combat thing.

No need for a guide IMO.
It can't be that good if you have only been there twice your whole life... To paraphrase Zman, if you are going to lie about location, and if you are going to use "Mac" send them to Macintosh. I think Troutbiscuit really wants to fulfill his fantasy of shoving something up someone else's a$$. ;D

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I can do better than slayerfishless.

You need a guide for a lake?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts