Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much same story as last week every limited 1 wiper and 14 white bass each. Released some pretty nice sized ones. Fishing from the dam again, with crawfish tails on the bottom. I took a rod with me with 6lb test on it to see what a 5lb plus wiper would feel like on light tackle. I hooked onto a fish with it and right when i yanked my drag started screaming out of control. I was thinking damn this **** is BIG. Right than i looked at my cell phone to see how long it was gonna take me to pull him in. Well 13 minutes later, i told my friend jump down there pull him up for me (we didnt have nets). He jumped down and jumped right back up, right than i knew what it was without him saying a word, he didnt even wanna touch the fish. It was a big carp that got my hook snagged on its tail LOL. Oh yea on the way out we saw a whole bunch of trucks lined up with boats getting ready to hit the water. It was a pretty cool site, i have never seen it before in person.Got a picture of it.They were getting ready for a walleye tournament. Got some pics that im gonna post in a moment. The guy in the pic fighting the wiper is my pops friend. The other pics are just stringers. Going back for the third straight week this coming saterday, fishing is too good not to.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
were is this Lake McConaughey
In Ogallala, Nebraska.

·
Registered
391 Posts
H&L did you catch all the fish at night?I get off early tommorow and im off tuesday so im thinkin of headin up there after work tommorow.What else would work besides crawdads.No thime to catch some before tommorow.What about a license?Can i get one on the way down?And should i take my boat or lust shore fish?Lots of questions but i dont want to get there unprepared.Also is it gate 1 that your fishing?I guess its called Martin Bay(lookin at a topo map right now).I appreciate any info you can help me with!Thanks

lyn

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you can get a license but get its better if you get one at one of the gas stations before u get to the lake. The little bait shops might be out than you would have to drive back out to get one. Martin bay is correct. The boat that just depends i see a whole lot of boats on the dam at night im pretty sure there walleye fishing if thats what u want than take the boat. If u want wipers and white bass just stay on shore. Man all i use i crawdads so i couldnt tell you about any other bait, but if u can catch the baitfish swimming around that would be really good bait. The arent that easy to catch though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks H&L.Its the temptation of those 5lb+ wipers that has me wanting to make the drive.Thanks for the help,still have to look at the pros and cons of making the drive.

lyn

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea all the fish were caught at night i forgot. Man its worth it the only con is being tired on the way home. The fish start biting around 9pm 1130-100 the action is real good.

·
Registered
391 Posts
OK man this will be my last questions on this topic.How do you rig your bait(crawdad tailsetc.)?I havent bait fished in years but i know only the two hook and bass casting sinker on bottom method.I would have to believe if the fishins hot other bait would work(ie.mussels leaches worms)but that would suck to find out they didnt.How about raw shrimp?Im new to this wiper fishin but im a quick learner,what ever it takes!Thanks again H&L,your an asset to this forum!

lyn

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok sinker on top that swivel than hook. Man im not gonna lie last week a guy sat next to use with shrimp he didnt catch a thing. The reason why i think crawfish tails work so good is cause they have an odor to them. If you have no way if gettin any i think you next bet is to get mussles. But i havent tried them there so dont blame me LOL. One other thing that might be of help to is what your rods real close the white bass dont bend the poles like wipers the take very soft nibbles just time it right and set the hook. Good luck if you post a report. I dont mind giving people secrets on that lake its far its big plenty of places to fish not everyone's gonna be willing to make that drive.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sorry it took so long on the pictures I was out of town and pretty busy since I got back.... I got a bounce notice in my email so if there are more pictures then that send them again and I'll add to it.

Nice looking fish buddy!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem epic not in a rush and thanks. Nope didnt get searched this week some other people did though but they didnt have any fish. They were driving around alot.

·
Registered
943 Posts
if anyone wants to head up there one of these weekend nights, i will drive and would love to go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts