Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing Saturday night with my son and friend at Lake McConaughy
It was a nice night, 1 rain storm went through but only lasted about 30min.
I caught 8 channel cats from 19 to 23 inches. 1 big carp and 1 little white bass and lots of bull heads.
I let all the bull heads go and kept the channel cats.
My friend could not hook the fish, he only caught 1 all night. My son ended up with 2.
It was a good night we fished the west end of the lake. Not another soul around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no wipers where we were, only cats. Water debth as far as you can cast maybe 5ft. where we were fishing on the west side of the lake.
Wiper action is towards the east end of the lake. We are going by the Dam this Friday night to try for some wipers and maybe a walleye. I will post the results when we get back.
I have no boat but fishing is always good at lake MAC from shore or boat.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Be extremely careful out there...my brother got fined this past weekend and he shouldn't have! Fishing at Lake Mac is always good...there's always fish to be caught but the regulations suck. Okay, maybe not the regulations but the people who "uphold" the regulations.

Two people and five walleyes--nothing wrong with that, right? WRONG. They had all the fish on one stringer and because my brother was holding the stringer, he got fined for being over the limit! WTF? Wait...it gets worse...the ranger the decides to fine the both of them because of association! WTF? They couldn't "prove" who caught the fish so he went ahead and fined them both $248 (?) and keeps the fish along with a crap load of attitude. Not cool.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That's horrible! I don't see how he can do that. What if you had the same fish, in your livewell on the boat? man, I hate people like that!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Tell me about it...they argued for at least an hour but nothing changed. My brother got fed up, paid the fine(s), and left. There's no point arguing unless he wanted to come back at a later date and argue in court.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i went on saturday night as well ... i got 5 channel cats(5 - 7 lbs.) and 2 walleye(24inch and 26inch).

·
Registered
182 Posts
My brother and I fished Big Mac this weekend also. Saturday was decent and we caught our limits of walleye and a couple of wipers. Most people including about a hundred Shut up and Fish tourny boats fished the west end. We mostly fished the North shore and stayed East. Sunday was better , again with our limits and some wipers and small white bass. Fish wer much more spread out and it seemed like everyone was catching fish. Lots of limits. We caught almost all our fish in 6 to 11 feet. No big eyes- 20- 21 in. but very fat. Some larger fish caught by others in 5' -9' early in morning. Leeches on lindy rigs , jig and crawlers all worked equally well. Should be great for the next coouple of weeks. Water temp on North side 66 to 70. South side 58 to 63. West was much warmer overall.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just a word of caution for anybody going up to Lake Mac this coming (memorial day) weekend. The game wardens/rangers will take no crap off of anyone up there this weekend, regardless of what the situation may be. Mind your P's and Q's to the T, don't argue, get the name of the warden, and if you have a dispute, call it in or drive up to the main ranger station. They especially delight in putting the screws to out of state people. try to stay away from the crowds (read dam) and don't engage in the kind of beach drunkenness/stupidity that seems to make the NE Game and Parks keep a special eye out for Colorado folks.

Heck, I'm gonna bypass all that stuff and go to lake minatare. Fewer people and the water should have flooded the trees by now. I will report back when I return to CO.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
sorryy ... no i was with my dad!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mista,
No need to apologize. I know of a few Nebraskans that read this board just as alot of us read their boards and your initial post gave the opportunity to be misunderstood. I dont like to see the us vs. them (fill in any state name here) mentality as the CWA holds 1-2 tournaments per year out of state.

I'm glad you responded.

L

·
0 Posts
I dont like to see the us vs. them (fill in any state name here) mentality as the CWA holds 1-2 tournaments per year out of state.
I guess I'll refrain out of respect for the association.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
yeah i know the law over there ... and i know wat pricks the rangers can be too, so i tried to abide by the rules. like da_teacher said, his brother just got owned by them!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I too have had a run in. They were quite distrespectful to me, and I was obeying all laws. I was accused of having over limit in my basket and fish that were too small. I asked them to please feel free to measure and count every fish, and they would find everything to be in order. My son was scared (who was 8 at the time) because they were such bullies--he thought we were going to jail. I told him (in front of the rangers) that only people who break laws have to fear going to jail, and we don't break laws. When all was said and done, I asked my son to wait in the truck and I gave it pretty good to the two rangers. I told them I was very offended by their behavior in front of my son. I asked for their cards and told them I would be reporting them to their superiors (which I never bothered--suppose I should have). Too bad they feel like they gotta flex their muscles. I really love fishing in Neb-- the only place I have every had any c rap is at Big MAc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts