Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the weekend at my cabin near Lake Minatare in Western Nebraska. The water had not yet even come close to filling the lake to where the fishing would be good in a float tube. (had not flooded the big cottonwood trees). either you were stuck in the thick weeds or you fished in the main part of the lake in a boat. They will be drawing down the lake soon for irrigation so I doubt that the water level will rise to an acceptable level again this year. I don't think the fishing will be that great if you drive up there.

There was a posting about an all species fishing tournament though. The West Nebraska Sportsman's association is having a tournament on June 10. For more information, contact Western Trail Sports Post in Scottsbluff.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for being honest and forthright.I thought you were a guide there or somethin with your previous post on this lake.Fishing can be so tempremental at times,and other times it seems that you can do no wrong.Thanks for the heads up!

lyn

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I happened to be in the Scottsbluff/Gering area visiting my relatives this weekend. I was noticing all the boats driving by heading on to the road to Lake Minatare and was wishing I was going along. My uncle always tells me about catching walleyes in the trees and with the drawdown for irrigation pending it looks like that won't happen which is too bad. The water levels have been pretty low for a while now, so I hope it gets better someday...

But, anyway, thanks for the report.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am definitely no guide for Lake Min, just had lots of luck there when the water was at an acceptable level. It seems that the water will not be at an acceptable level this year. Hope for a wetter year next year. The water was allright if you had a boat and liked to troll in the larger part of the lake but I have a float tube which meant paddling in the bigger water or being stuck within the willows and other nautical flora. Not fun. There is still water going into the lake but irrigation drawdown will begin in earnest before it fills up enough to be good. Go to Glendo or Guernsey in WYO for walleyes.

All of those boats you saw heading up to L. Min seemed to be full of skiers and such. Man, that lake was packed with folks! Did you get caught in the wind storm on Sunday? I'm glad I camped out at Winters Creek Lake. No people over there. Probably cause there's no fish in the lake either! I found out that an annual NE parks pass only costs 17.50! and it is good for all of the parks in NE. Seems like a good price compared to the CO parks pass.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yes, I was in the storm on Sunday and heard the tornado sirens. I've got a daughter who is particularly afraid of tornados so she really freaked out. I heard that it touched down in Mitchell and then later at Hemmingford. It was a weird storm in that there was not much rain but lots of wind and dust...

btw, I sent you a PM -- did you read it yet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts