Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a awesome trip. The boat was great, I didn't know what to expect with 5 people, three dogs, and a really big camping load. We had beautiful weather (hot weather but the water was a cool 70-75 degrees), and found a nice camp site down at the confluance of the San Juan. We went to rainbow bridge, down to Dangling Rope, and lots of side canyons, touring, swimming, exploring. It was hot so the kids and dogs were in the water a lot.

Oh, the fishing...
We had a blast. We fished 2 evenings and 3 mornings (2-3 hours each), and a few hours during the day for small mouth etc. We caught 60 or so stripers 3 or 4lbs to 7 lbs with one that we guessed was 9-10, 10 to 12 small mouth, 3 catfish, and 1 crappie. We kept 35 stripers and released the rest all caught along the northern shore of the San Juan at the confluance and into the Colorado. There were lots of fish there mornings and evenings! We saw a few mini boils in the afternoon but they ended quickly before we could respond. We started trolling with crank baits, Yozori, Lucky Craft, Shad Rap, but the lure that was catching the most fish was a white Spro bucktail jig (1 1/2 oz) with a whole 3" shinner on the hook. I had tried it just for the heck of it to keep the minnow from drying up, after we had been jigging over a school. 3 miles per hour was the best speed. Several times we got over a school and jigged even with the bucktail or tube jig that worked when we were trolling and we caught nothing jigging. So it was back to trolling, we were catching so many fish on the spros (10:1) that we eventually ran only two rods with the bucktails to avoid tangles after we hooked up. These fish were big, fat, and really good fighters, bigger than I have caught previous years up in Good Hope Bay where we often focus on walleye.

My oldest daughter has a good camera, mine doesn't have a flash anymore so the early and late pictures didn't turn out so great.

Here is the boat loading line.

A bad hair day(morning), bad even for me.

Samantha's first Striper

The biggest fish, Mark, open your eyes, bright sun I guess.
(I caught the first, and the most that day ;D)

What the live well looked like each day before we started releasing fish.

And finally what the fish finder often looked like

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Those are some nice looking fish, and what a nice trip for everyone.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow!

I may have to rent a houseboat sometime...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Talo,

Nobody would have noticed your hair with those stripers in your hands if you did not mention it! :) (and you have never seen me with a bad case of bedhead :p)

Sounds like you had a real memorable trip, a trip with hopes for good fishing, good company and relaxation fulfilled!

Dan

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True,

Dan, bed head is a terrible thing, to go unphotographed. I don't think anyone can top mine, the proof is in the pudding!

Zman, house boats are great, especially those that have air, air conditioning! I have not been to LP during summer because of the heat, but fishing is supposed to be great then too.

All I will say is it is a place where everyone will have fun and will be totally in awe of the scenery (even dogs).

Terre

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nicely done Talo and nice pics. Your sonar reflects a typical striper pile-up; no shortage of fish there. Kick in Crappie, cats, walleyes et cetera, and oh yeah... it's where I want to be.

Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm leaving for LP Sunday. Going for a week. How heavy of line would you experts recommend using for trolling there? ??? Were you using downriggers or other means of getting your lures down deep or just flat lining? I'd appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Excellent report,Talo-glad you got to go and jack some jaws.Imagine how many fish you could of caught if yous were just fishing all the time!Yee-Haw,you're killin me!!!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

That's one fish on my list that I still have to take a stab at. Stripers..... The mommy or papa(?) of the all mighty wiper in which I've been chasing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts