Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to attach pics of some of the fish we caught at LP last week, but I couldn't get the attachments to go through. Anyway the biggest were 24"+. My digital scale read 4 lb, 8 oz. They felt heavier. The fishing was pretty good until a cold front came in Thurs. eve. That killed the fishing for the rest of the week. We kept over 40 stripers and a couple of smallies. Most were caught trolling Spros jigs or Storm Wildeyes behind 2 - 3 oz. of weight. I caught a couple of stripers casting into boils and a few dunking anchovies at night. I'm ready to go back!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you email me the pictures at [email protected] I will post them for you. Please include your forum name and the topic you want them posted under.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Quickrelease,

Sounds like you had a great trip. Lake Powell sure is fun. Where on the lake did you wind up fishing/camping? Had the fish finished their spawn? That might account for a slightly lower weight. I'm looking forward to see the pictures.

Terre

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We beached the houseboat in Escalante Canyon and The Rincon. Had to cater to the non-fishermen. Mostly fished Escalante but also hit San Juan, Slick Rock, Rincon, and Bullfrog. Most of the fish still hadn't spawned. I don't know why I can't post pics. I've done it before. I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
405 Posts
QuickRelease,

We arrived at Powell late Saturday afternoon, and were informed by a park ranger, that we missed a front that came through on Friday. The water in Bullfrog Bay and north and south of the lake was completely stained brown. We couldn't locate any shallow water stripers (less than 80') and for the most part stayed at camp for the remainder of the evening. I tried raising you on the marine radio and handheld radio prior to your departure on Sunday without luck, so we missed each other.

Anyhow, long story short, we fished hard for the next three days and only caught about 8 stripers. They were scattered and we just could not locate any of the suspended schools. They were down deep and hugging bottom The weather remained disturbed, cool, and allowed for about three and half days of sunshine, during our one week trip.
We decided to focus on smallmouths and for the most part caught them at will.
The gang fished for them every morning from camp while using top water lures, as smallies hammered them from below; the gang was psyched. We landed several catfish and a couple of nice walleyes.

It wasn't one of my better trips, but all in all, we caught plenty of fish and had a great time. I think we would have scored with the stripers if the weather wasn?t as unsettled as it was last week.

We did try night fishing under lights, drew in a ton of bait fish, but no predators... oh well.

I don?t have any photos to post as I was without camera for most of the week, but other members did take some, and I?ll post them once I receive them.

Pete

·
Registered
296 Posts
yea pete you summed it up the smallies were our target those fish are the pitbulls of the fishing world some nice wallys lots of cats lets just say if i wanted to catch a smally or cat i did the place is just spectacular i will definitley be back it is a shame that we didnt get into the stripers like we wanted to but all in all it was a great experiance
thanks alot pete for keeping us safe
eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts