Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend bought a boat so made our first ever trip to Lake Powell in search of stripers. The boat was a well maintained 1959 something. None of us really know much about boats but we new that it starts and floats. The boat reminded me of a movie in which Jerry lewis and Dean Martin were pulling lady water skiers. We had quite a few folks admire our boat (cant tell if they were sarcastic) but in any manner the trip was a success. Had multiple boils and many double fish on a single spook top water lure. Caught over 70 plus over the coarse of two days, including eyes, sunfish, and bass. Our main target was striper. Enjoy the pics.

If you want to experience poor service go to the following retail location below.

The Treasure chest

I was video taping this next fish when i heard a thunder and it was a privately owned fighter jet which flew directly over our heads under the skyline of the cliff. I caught it on video.

This was my first real experience fishing boils and i cant think of anything more addicting. Hope you get a chance to fish Powell. Also, a thank-you note to the forum folks who helped me with lure selections.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice to hear that Powell hasn't changed since 1997, which was the last time I was there. Not has long ago as your boat, but it looks like we're both still going strong.
Glad you had a great trip. Boils are the best.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
i think you guys stopped in at bass pro to pick up some gear. how did the daiwa combo work out for you? (at least that's what i think you bought)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marledge said:
i think you guys stopped in at bass pro to pick up some gear. how did the daiwa combo work out for you? (at least that's what i think you bought)
[/quote

My brother likes it....he has never spent more than $40 for a rod and reel...so i was surprised when he purchased a $90 combo.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
All these post on powell makes me want to go down there now. If i only had time to go. Sounds like a great time for you guy. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Is that the boat that you're going to use to take over the world? ;D
ROFL!!!! :D

Great report and pics Yak! That is one CLEAN looking old Merc for it's age. Beautiful vintage craft for sure and obviously still a fish catching machine. Only thing that would have made this better is some nice clear pics of "Lady water skiers". ;D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pinky is in the workshop working on “Old Bessie” .....the modifications should be complete soon and it will be put to test against the Iranian flying boats. As far as ladies....I was absolutely let down by the scenery.....no girls gone wild productions.....the average age of the lady campers was about 65 plus.....a little too “refined” for my taste. We stayed at Hite station. Bull frog was another 1.4 hr away.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yakatut said:
As far as ladies....I was absolutely let down by the scenery.....no girls gone wild productions.....the average age of the lady campers was about 65 plus.....a little too “refined” for my taste.
Lol, you need to go to Bull Frog for that kind of scenery ;D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts