Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

WE fished thurs, friday, sat, 6 of us toatle each person caught around 50 fish per day a mixed bag of smallies, largemouth,walley,and stripers. It was a GREAT TRIP!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Nice pics! I love that place. Hope to get there for a few days next week. What part did you fish?

Thanks.

Don

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Don, we camped in escalante, fished there for two days and then went to reflection sat, the bass were going crazy in reflection. Hooknline My uncle lives in farmington NM I drove down there and we took his boat.Its only 210 miles from there.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Rad,

Great pics, I'm going to Escalante Friday Morning. Last year we camped at San Juan and went swimming in Reflection canyon. Fun stuff.

Did you learn any tricks or do you have current info I should know about ;D. Wayne (Waynes words) says plastic grubs and plastic grubs tipped with a piece of crawler are working well for all species. Granted, its pretty hard to not catch fish at Lake Powell.

I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TALO362, my uncle is a distributer of salty tubes, he has 80 different colors to choose from so his tackle boxes are all filled with these. I tried alot of lures crankbaits,spinnerbaits, all the usuall baits, these 3.5 inch tubes outfished everything 20-1. just throw up twards the bank and let the bait drag back twards the boat. the best color was smoke purple. Another good color was chartruse with blue fleck. I tried jigs with nightcrawlers, but I had much better succcess with out. The big crappies were in small cove with tumble weeds in them the best lure was a white berkly gulp minnow reeled in reel slow. I wish I could go back with you.

F

·
0 Posts
Rad- I've been trying to contact your uncle. It's Pat right? I bought tubes from him several years ago when fishing tournaments at Elephant Butte and Navajo. I lived in Silver City then and ordered tubes through Bruce Allred. Can you pm me with a phone or address?

T

·
0 Posts
NICE! Do you need a boat to fish Powell? Is shore fishing productive there? I know it's a big lake.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Tbmanivong,

It is a big lake - huge, but you do not need a boat. I've not done it, just read about it on www.wayneswords.com Wayne will set you up if you ask the question. Wayne (and the state of Utah) want you to catch fish - to help keep the lake healthy, they want you to keep every striper you catch.

There are a bunch of places you can drive into (some with 4x4), plus they have some fishing docks at Bullfrog and other places. They have green lights that attract plankton at night-then bait fish, and big fish. If you can get to the lake, you are going to catch some fish, boat or no boat.

T

·
0 Posts
Thanks TALO362.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to go, they have a Romance Package. But she's not buying into it. :D

T

·
0 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Do you think she has figured out what you're going to be spending all your time on, once you get there?   ;)
Noooo... No way. :D I'm still working on it..... If there is shopping @ Lake Powell, I think I might have a chance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is nothing more romantic than a houseboat with a 20ft bassboat in tow. Candlelit crappie dinners with a bucket of ice with your favorite bottle of beer. Waking up at 3:30 am to get the morning bite. Lake Powell is magic.

D

·
0 Posts
C.W. said:
There is nothing more romantic than a houseboat with a 20ft bassboat in tow. Candlelit crappie dinners with a bucket of ice with your favorite bottle of beer. Waking up at 3:30 am to get the morning bite.  Lake Powell is magic.
Yup. Nothing more romantic than that! I've killed 2 marriages and a couple relationships with that type of a "romantic getaway". ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts