Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear rumors that fishing for Striped Bass is great this time of year. Anybody know anything about it? :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
striper bite is tough this time of year, trollers getting a few, crappie fishing has been off the wall!!!!!!!! best stripper fishing is when they start boiling later in the year...just on my way back form 3 trip this spring, love that place westslopers got to go there for warm water fix....

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andy and Bobco! :) I've got to find a way to take some time and go check it out.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I was there in July and they were on the surface every morning and evening. Truly a ball. It was so fast and furious that I found the best way to get them in the boat, off the hook and back to fishing, was a scrounger head with a fluke. I got tired of removing trebles from their faces. They weren't huge by any means18-22" but man do they pull. They are also really good cooked on the grill.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I was supposed to go to Powell this weekend but rescheduled due to weather. Going to try again the last weekend of the month.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Epic from what I hear. The stripers are all schooled up and usually boiling that time of year. There are so many in there that it just takes a little traveling on the lake with a watchful eye to locate them. Once the boil dissapears, you can troll big Rattle baits (1 oz.), spoons and anything that gets deep and pick up more of the school.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the kind of stuff I heard, but that it was right around Easter: "So many fish that you can catch all you want and they are great eating. There are so many stripers and so few natural nutrients in the lake that if you catch something and don't keep it to eat you have to kill it and put it back so the other fish can eat it." ??? Stuff like that.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It is turning into a great eye fishery too O0 It is quite unfortunate that it is such a drive or I would be there a LOT! Gonna buy my annual Utah license next week though and start hitting it up

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i have been fishing lake powell the last two years in september and the boils have been exceptional..........you can search me previous posts and obtain info.....enjoy....powell is addictive

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Not the best way to do it. You can get lucky and have the school push bait toward your houseboat. I was awkened at sunrise 1 morning to the sound of slashing and splashing. Scrambled around half drunk/half asleep and found a rod that had a Kasty on it and started launching into the boil, caught 3 before they disappeared.

I would recommend a Kayak.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Cool, we have an invite to latch onto a houseboat later this summer. Not sure on dates yet, but would haul my boat too and hit a few coves for a night or two so I am interested too.

Rob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts