Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My annual Lake Powell trip starts Friday, any one else going to be there this weekend? The weather forecast is highs in the mid 90's lows around 60... ;D

I'm trying to figure out if I should go up to Good Hope Bay or down toward Escalante. Last year we went down to San Jaun, lots of stripers not any Walleye,,, years past Good Hope Bay was good to us for Walleye. I've not spent much time around Escalante and Rincon, any suggestions?

D

·
0 Posts
I've always done well for walleyes in the Escalante and in the Rincon area, but that was a higher water levels.  I'm not sure how far up the Escalante you can travel at this water level.  Favorite areas in the Escalante are Fifty Mile, Forty Mile, and Willow Creek.  I'm just not sure how much water there will be.

If you go north, the runoff may already be as far south as Good Hope.

Have you posted this question on Waynes Words bulletin boards (http://www.wayneswords.com/)?  They're always quick to respond.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Damn a powell trip sure sounds like fun! Last time I was there I think I wound up catching every type of fish in the whole lake. Think we wound up with 9 different types of fish. What a place to fish! Cant wait to get back there!

D

·
0 Posts
I see over on Waynes Words that he already responded. Boy that was quick!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I fished Lake Powell last week and spent 3 days down in the Rincon.

It was easy to catch 40 or 50 fish a day there, but they were mostly small. In the 8 to 12 inch range. Caught Smallmouth, Crappies, Sunfish, Largemouth, Catfish, Carp, Walleyes, and Stripers.

My friend caught 5 walleye from 16 to 24 inches vertical jigging a twister tail jig in 20 foot of water.

The biggest stripers caught were jigged up from 30 foot water and weighed 5 and 1/2 pounds.

It was my first trip to Powell and I had a good time.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Good luck T...you wont need it!...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to bed... I have to get up early ya know... did I tell you? I'm going FISHING ;D

Just to rub it in a little more... Wayne says the fishing at Powell right now is as good as it gets, as good as it has ever been.

How good is that you ask? I don't know, but I'm going to try to find out ;D.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good luck!! Wish I were going too. I love Good Hope Bay!! I didn't try for walleye at all but targeted the Stripers and had a BALL fishing the boils up there. There's nothing like fishing the boils, it's AWESOME!! Have fun!! I'm jealous....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts